Chapter-42

Hollow. I feel hollow as if I decided to leave my body and drift off to a place where I wasn't Brooke Rhodes right now. Afraid, pregnant, helpless and alone Brooke Rhodes.

It was three hours ago we drove away from Raina's limp body, left on the curb. And it's hard to imagine that it was two days ago that I was safe in the middle of now where. Not in the city surround by people I hate.

I stay still and silent, calming myself because for some miracle today it hasn't caused any trouble for my pregnancy. For my daughter.

It was dark when I was forced to get out of the car, into the familiar dusty underground car park that is the head base for S.E.R.O. 8 months ago I was on my knees here for my brother's freedom, so much as changed since then.

I was exhausted but managed to get up the many stairs and walk through concrete walled hallways that all look the same. Mr. McCoy walked out front while a security guard, dressed in all black with a gun holds my forearm. Who knows? He might have used to work with me in my old organization.

We reach a door, painted red which is odd for this place. Mr. McCoy turns to me, before dismissing the security guard beside me." Someone would like to have a word with you."

He knocks getting a muffled reply before opening the door and gesturing me in. I slowly walk through the door, Mr. McCoy following in behind me before closing it. What captures my attention instantly is the white plastid walls to the dusty concrete ones. The plush carpet compared to the hard grey floor.

I continue walking forward until I reach the end and turn to the large dinning room. It's filled with a long dark mahogany table that stretches across the room, antique lights hang on the walls and ceiling. But what stops me is the man sitting on the end, a glass in one hand the other holding a hard cover book.

He seems to finish a line before snapping the book shut to look at us. And in my clouded memoires I remember that man's face from the first time I was in this very building. He watched me be escorted out of here after my failed attempt at rescuing my brother, tricked into helping them for his freedom.

He smiles at me, his pale blue eyes crinkling in the corners. He's old, with slicked back grey hair, and when he stands up he wears a lavish red robe the reaches his woolen pinched slippers.

"Well you have done well Andrew." He smiles behind me before returning his attention on me." And you my dear are glowing, I'm assuming the baby is growing healthily."

This man reaches to touch my stomach but I slap away his hand. For a second he seems angry but laughs it off." She's feisty, no wonder it took so long to find her."

He walks back around so he is on the other side of his expensive table facing us again." Thank you Andrew, I'll send for you soon."

With out a word Mr. McCoy-or now Andrew-leaves me alone with this man that I don't wish to spend another minute with.

"Please have a seat, you must be exhausted." He says politely but I make no move to do so. He sighs." I insist."

Not having any other chose I walk forward and pull out a chair and sit down at the table. It feels good to get some weight off my legs although it's replaced by a new fear of this man who acts like he knows everything about me.

"My name is Mr. Emerson, the founder of S.E.R.O. I am guessing you remember my face form quite some months ago." He says and pauses as if for me to reply. When I don't say anything he continues." You might be somewhat confused-"

"Confused." I spit out." There is nothing confusing about taking people against there own will."

He nervously chuckles." But you my dear are the person that ran away, we only wanted our investment back."