Chapter-16

Two days until I am officially three months pregnant. Two hours until Abby and Grant will be back from their three-week pack business trip. Two minutes until Martha says the muffins will be ready. Two seconds is the time it will take to devour one.

It's been a nice three weeks though; I have gotten to know Annie and Shawn better.  I even got to babysit Lily, their three-year old daughter a couple times. Her fairy party was postponed because Abby had to go away, which means the pack business trip was obviously a last minute thing.

But this morning when I got up, my growing baby bump was the most noticeable it has been. My shirts couldn't hide it any longer. Its just a round little bump that some of the other pack members, some of whom I have grown to know better have been asking about. I state that I am pregnant, but I think its best to not say that their alpha is the father, I mean that is up to Grant.

The ding of the oven in the kitchen draws me back. I smile in excitement as Martha bustles to the oven, opening it and takes out the tray of freshly cooked white chocolate and blueberry muffins. She places them on the counter in front of me, as I am sitting on a high stool. About to reach for one Martha swats my hand away.

"You have to wait 10 minutes for them to cool." She gives me a little playful scowl and I bite my lip. Its breakfast and a muffin is all I want. They're sitting there, like a mock temptation.

As the minutes pass and the smell some how becomes stronger, Dom, Martha's son comes into the kitchen. Martha had disappeared into the pantry, as Dom seems to be looking around for her, but to make sure she isn't there.

"Your all clear." I tease and he smirks coming closer to the counter I am sitting on. Although it's hard to get to know someone that can't talk, Dom seems to have a very mischievous personality. Having his tongue cut out must have been hard but it seems he walks on the brighter side of life.

He spots the muffins on the counter giving me a questionable look. I smile at him, nodding my head towards the pantry where Martha is. His lips pull up into a cheeky grin, taking a muffin out of the tin. The sound of footsteps alerts Dom as he gives me a wink while taking a bite out of the muffin before disappearing out of the kitchen.

Martha comes back, smiling as she sings an Old Italian folk song of some sort. She reaches the counter and looks down at the tray; the song turns into a hum before she goes quiet. Her eyes focus onto the empty slot in the tin. Her eyes narrow on me and I lift my hands up in surrender.

Quirking an eyebrow up it doesn't take less the several seconds for her face to turn sour." Dominic!" She shrieks, darting out of kitchen. Good luck Dom.

Then unexpectedly, the familiar face of Grant walks in. It seems nothing or no one is really coming on time today.

"Hey." I greet, beaming because I am happy to see him.

His eyes dart to mine, his own smile appearing on his face as he comes to join me. He is still the same Grant, brown hair, pale green eyes, and tall... buff. Whoa, I will my hormones to slow down.

"Hey, how are you going?" he asks, coming to lean on the counter, an overnight bag in his hand.

" I've been good, how did your travels treat you?" I reply, picking up a muffin, beginning to peel down the paper wrapper.

Grant tilts his head side to side, as if weighing what to say." Things were put in place, it was successful." He says, giving me no details like usual. Itching to ask more, I don't get the chance before Grant continues." That reminds me."

With the one hand holding the bag, the other Grant unzips it with and pulls out a crinkly item. He places it on the table before rummaging through his bag to find something else. I look closer at what appears to be a packet of food and my eyes widen when I see what they are.