6

Ellie puttered around the kitchen. The sink full of dirty dishes and her counters littered with baking ingredients. A cloud of smoke puffed out of the oven as she opened the oven door setting off her fire alarm. She pouted as she grabbed a stool and began pulling it over towards the fire alarm.

"Do I dare even ask?" Jared laughed as he peeped his head in the door.

Ellie turned to him, a smile growing on her face as she gestured for him to come in.

"I need to change my locks, just about anybody can get in." Ellie said sarcastically as she hugged him.

"Let me remind you that you gave me the key." Jared mocked.

Ellie rolled her eyes. "Turn the alarm off please. It's hurting my ears."

Jared walked under her fire alarm, simply raised his arm and pressed the button.

"It's not fair that you could just reach it and I would have to stand on a stool." She complained as she walking into the kitchen.

She put on an oven mitt and grabbed a tray of burnt cookies out of the oven, placing them on her granite countertop. Jared scrunched his face and tried to stifle a laugh.

"Don't laugh at me! Basically the whole planet knows me and anything in the kitchen don't mix well." Ellie said trying to be serious but not getting her point across. "At least I tried."

Ellie stared at the tray of horribly burnt cookies, her smile fading away. It only served as a reminder of how she always seemed to screw everything up. The act was up and she could tell. They were trying to act like nothing had happened, that she had never told him anything but they both knew at some point it had to be discussed.

"I thought you were pissed at me." Ellie said glancing up at Jared.

"I still am." Jared sighed. "Ellie, I didn't want to know what you told me."

"I told you because I trusted you." She said pursing her lips.

Jared ran his fingers through his hair. He wished they could move past this, to forget about it and go back to how they used to be.

"Are you going to tell him?" He asked.

Ellie shrugged. Of course she wanted to tell him but she didn't want the consequences of it.

"It's not that easy." Ellie said biting down on her lip.

"Do you know what's not going to be easy? The feeling of regret that consumes you when it's too late to tell him." Jared said with a stone cold expression.

His sudden iciness sent a shiver through Ellie. Never had she seen Jared so serious, so solemn and she knew that Jared himself had known this feeling all too well by looking into his eyes.

"He loves Danneel, Ellie. They just moved in together." He paused as he rubbed a hand over the stubbly hair on his chin. "We both know what's coming next."

Ellie felt a pain splinter through her chest. She knew it was the truth but hearing him say it made it feel too real.

"If you don't tell him soon, the chance will be gone and if you have any hope of maintaining a friendship with him... Or with me... you better pretend like all you see him as is just a friend, no matter how painful."

Ellie felt tears prickle her eyes and her cheeks flush with heat. Her throat was beginning to tighten as she tried to hold back her feelings. She felt as if her heart had stopped beating and her blood had turned to lead.

"I've made it this far pretending." She said hoarsely.

Jared walked towards the door, his hands shoved into his jean pockets. His stomach twisted but he knew that someone was going to have to say it.

"Barely." He answered. "If I suspected it before you even told me, I'm sure that she suspects it as well."

Jared left, closing the door behind him. Ellie felt a tear slide down her cheek, wishing that everything could go back to the way it was before all of this. Back to when it was just her, Jensen and Jared drinking beer and watching football games. Back to before wives, girlfriends and her stupid emotions.

She placed her hands on either side of the sink, gripping the countertop until her knuckles turned white.

She just wanted to turn back time.