7

The apartment was quiet when Ellie woke up. Usually Jensen was making noise in the kitchen, waking her before her alarm. There was no scent of coffee in that lingered air. Everything was just to quiet.

She sighed and forced herself to get up. She made her way into the kitchen feeling disappointed to see everything exactly how she left it last night. There was no one here to make a mess except for her. She had grown accustomed to cleaning up after Jensen that it was odd for there to be no mess.

Her eyes ran over the pile of mail from the previous day. She hadn't even bothered to look at it but she noticed a letter sticking out that had a mailing address from New York City. Ellie grabbed the letter and tore it open, pulling the out the neatly folded papers.

There was a knock on the door, something that would have terrified her but she recognized the knock. The usual 'three knocks and then two for good luck' belonged to Gen, Jared's wife. Ellie walked over and unlocked the door for her.

Gen held a brown paper bag in front of her face and then lowered it to reveal a big smile.

"I brought bagels." She said a little too cheery.

Ellie smiled and closed the door after she walked in.

"The breakfast of champions." She said winking at Gen.

Ellie grabbed the bag from her and pulled out a bagel, taking a big bite of it. She hadn't realized how hungry she was until now.

"What's this?" Gen said as she picked up the paper.

"Ugh, I don't know. I haven't read it yet." Ellie shrugged.

Gen unfolded the paper and scanned the page, Ellie noticed her eyes go wide as she read.

"What is it?" Ellie asked as she walked over.

"It's a job offer!" She said holding out the paper.

Ellie grabbed the paper from her, rolling her eyes.  Her eyes scanned over the page. One of the biggest fashion companies was offering her a job!  This was her chance to make her mark. If she took this job, whatever she could dream of was at her fingertips.

"You have to take it!" Gen said with a stupid smile plastered on her face.

"No I don't." Ellie said crumpling up the piece of paper. "It's located in New York City. I'm putting my family before a job. I'm not going to move across the country."

"Oh I see, you don't want to move across the country from Jensen." She said smirking. 

"And you and Jared." Ellie said with a side glance.

Gen shrugged, not wanting to fight this early in the morning. She grabbed the crumpled paper and flattened it out, placing it in the middle of the table.

"Just tell me you'll think about it." She said raising her eyebrows.

"Fine, whatever." Ellie said rolling her eyes.

"Okay good. Now there's something I wanted to talk to you about." She said.

Ellie narrowed her eyes at her. She seemed anxious seeing as she was wringing her hands together. She was biting down on the inside of her cheek.

"I'm pregnant." She blurted.

Ellie's mouth fell open and she just about choked on her bagel. She quickly processed her friends words and pulled her into a hug.

"That's great news!" Ellie exclaimed.
Ellie pulled away from the hug to reveal a teary eyed Gen. "That's great news, right?"

"Well, it is but its unexpected. We weren't planning this and I don't even know if Jared wants kids. We've talked about it but not seriously. I'm scared of how's he going to react."

"Gen, this is Jared we are talking about here. He loves kids and besides how could he not want a kid who is half of him and half of you?" Ellie said reassuringly.

Gen wiped her eyes and nodded. "I guess you're right. Maybe the hormones are getting to me."

Gen laughed and then grabbed a bagel for herself. Once she had gotten the stress out of her, all she could talk about was how she could tell Jared. Ellie nodded her head, trying to look excited for her friend who was starting a family but all it reminded her was of how alone she was, how she chasing someone who she was never going to have.