14

Big brown boxes littered the apartments floor filled with all of Ellie's belongings. She held a sharpie in her hand as she finished writing the contents of each on the side of the cardboard before she would tape them up. There was a knock on the door before it swung open. Jensen peeked his head in.

This was the first time they had seen each other since that night. Jensen was mad at the fact that she was leaving and had purposely not reached out to her.

"Just four more days." He sighed as he walked in.

Ellie nodded her head. In four days she would be moving across the country. If that wasn't nerve racking, she didn't know what was.

"I gotta finish packaging this and then I'm gonna ship it out tomorrow. It should arrive three days after I get to New York." 

Jensen kneeled down in front of a box. It was full of shirts but he knew the shirt that was crumpled on top. It was his shirt. He had given it to her because it had gotten too tight in his shoulders and she adapted it as a sleep shirt. He held it up and sadly smiled.

"I remember this." He said softly as he gestured to the shirt.

She looked up, the corners of her mouth turning up softly.  That shirt made her feel safe. Whenever she wasn't feeling good, she would put that shirt on and snuggle up and everything just seemed like it would be okay.  She wasn't sure if it was the shirt itself that her feel that way or the fact that it smelled like Jensen when she had received it.

"You can have it back if you want." Ellie said as she focused back on taping boxes.

Jensen shook his head, "No, wear it when you miss me."

Ellie looked up at him, their eyes locking together. She felt her insides churn as she her eyes began to water. She broke the contact between them, afraid he would see she was close to tears.

"How's Danneel?" Ellie asked in a hoarse tone.

"I didn't come to talk about Danneel." Jensen said. "I have to leave for filming tomorrow which means I won't be able to see you off."

"Oh," Ellie sighed.

She stood up and walked over to him, wrapping her arms around him. She felt his arm snake around her and she felt oddly at ease. Her nerves and fears of the move seemed to vanish for the time being as she sighed into him.

Jensen ran his hand through her blond curly hair, resting it on the small of her back. His throat began to tighten as he realized this would be the last time they would see each other for weeks, or even months.

Jensen nodded, "You promise that you'll come to visit."

"Of course." Ellie said rolling her eyes. "I'm gonna miss you, J."

"I'm gonna miss you too, Elle." He replied.

He leaned down as kissed her forehead before they parted and for a second he had to force himself not to just kiss her. That would only make things more complicated.

Ellie had tears that streaked her cheeks and Jensen wiped them away with his thumb.

"We can call and FaceTime between visits. It'll be okay." He reminded her.

She nodded and took a deep breath. "Hug me once more and then leave or else I'm going to really break down."

Jensen pulled her close again, tighter than the last time. He wanted to remember this moment exactly as it was. Even when she was crying she was beautiful. She pulled away and wiped her eyes again.

"Goodbye, J." She said biting down on her lip.

Jensen made his way towards the door and she followed close behind him. He stepped outside, his own eyes pooling with tears as he gripped the doorframe.

"Goodbye, Elle."

She had a palm over her mouth and with her other hand she closed the door on him. It was too hard knowing this would be the last time she would see him for a while.

Jensen stood on the other side of the closed door, a tear escaping his eye as he whispered, "I love you."