13

Ellie rolled over in bed, expecting to find Jensen but instead finding cold sheets. Sitting up, she rubbed her eyes, a yawn escaping her lips. She got out of bed and padded into the kitchen. Jensen was sitting at the island, his back facing towards her.

She walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around him.

"Why didn't you mention this?" He muttered as he tapped the letter that sat on the counter.

Ellie dropped her hands to her side, her blood running cold. He turned towards her, his expression riddled with sadness.

"It didn't come up." She said trying to swallow down the lump forming in her throat.

""Ellie, this is a big deal." He said rubbing his eyes.

"I know," Ellie sighed, "Thats why I took the offer."

His eyes shot up to hers as he realized what it had meant. She was moving across the country just when they had started to become something more than friends. Just her luck.

"They want me there in a week and a half."

He nodded. He knew that it was a big offer but he didn't actually think she would have taken it. She was uprooting her life to go some place where she knew no one.

"I should go." He said clearing his throat.

Ellie hated the awkwardness in the room. Not only had they just slept together but she broke the news that she was moving. Awkward was an understatement.

"What does this mean for us?" He said as he slipped on his shoes.

Ellie shrugged. She felt her insides prickle with heat as she regretted taking the job offer but she knew she had to go. This was her big chance.

"I think..." Ellie paused as she felt her eyes begin to water, dropping her gaze to the floor before she continued. "I think I'm leaving for New York and with the time zones and your schedule we'll never stand a chance."

Jensen sighed. He had his hands shoved down into the pockets of his dress pants with his shirt unbuttoned with a white vneck underneath. Even for had just woken up, he looked great. Ellie tried to refocus her mind, Jensen's appearance was not important right now.

"This is it for us." He said slowly.

"Go home to Danneel." Ellie said through a fake smile. "She'll be happier when I'm across the country."

Jensen smirked, he knew it was the truth. All of their issues had evolved because of Ellie. His smirk faded as he looked up at Ellie, his heart aching.

"I won't be happier when you're across the country."