23

It was ten o'clock on Wednesday night and Ellie was laying in bed waiting for her phone to ring. She had been at her job for a week now and although she ruffled a few of her coworkers feathers, she seems to be the boss's favorite. Her and Jensen had been playing phone tag for the past week, their conversations consisting only of voicemail messages and a few texts. They both were busy with work and she worked early in the morning and he worked until late at night. Trying to find a time to actually be able to talk was challenging but they decided to talk around ten every night. Ellie was waiting though, hoping that he would remember and call her but it appeared that he was not going to call since it was now twenty after.

Ellie sighed and called him, the phone ringing several times before he picked up. There was a bunch of background noise and people talking before Jensen spoke.

"Hey, Elle, is it ten already?" Jensen said loudly.

She heard him mumble something to someone and then shuffling around as he said, "Hold on a sec.  I'm gonna go outside."

Within a few seconds, the background noise disappeared. She felt irritated that he was out somewhere when they were supposed to talk. They had it planned and it appeared to seem like he would have forgotten if she had not called.

"Sorry I went out with Jared and the film crew because it's Mike's birthday. How've you been?"

"Fine. Busy." Ellie replied.

"Ugh," Jensen sighed, "Please don't do this."

"Do what?"

"Be angry with me because I lost track of time."

Ellie bit down on the inside of her cheek, choosing her words carefully, "It's not that, J. It's just everything. We haven't talked in a week and we are in two different countries."

"I know. It has been hard but soon it will be Christmas and I'll have a month off from filming and then summer is going to come and I'll have a few months off..."

"So is that how this is going to work?" Ellie interrupted, her throat tightening and causing her voice to become raspy, "How long can we keep that up because so far we aren't doing a good job."

There was a long pause and Ellie instantly regretted everything she had said. She should not have called when she was already in a pissy mood.

"This isn't a conversation we should be having on the phone." Jensen replied after almost a minute of silence. "I'm coming out to see you soon and we can talk about it then."

"Okay.... I love you, J."

"Yeah, I love you too."

Silence settled between them again. Ellie cleared her throat and tried her best to sound happy, "Hey, go back and have fun with your friends!"

"Uh, talk tomorrow?" Jensen asked

"Yeah, that's fine."

They exchanged goodbyes before the phone call ended. Ellie felt her stomach flip at how it all went down, replaying the conversation in her head repeatedly. She snuggled into her bed and pulled her comforter tight around her as she began to sob. She was in New York City, constantly surrounded by millions of people, yet she had never felt so alone.