Chapter 5

ANNA'S POV

SIX MONTHS LATER...

The last six months have been great. Jacob and I are super close. Jacob doesn't get bullied any more. Lucas is less tense around Jacob. Dave, Jace and I are heaps closer. I started calling Jace dad about two months ago but I still remember my family who was yet to be found. Chelsea is still alive and kicking but I haven't heard much from her, I'm missing her like crazy.

I am currently sitting at our lunch spot talking with Jacob and Lucas. Lucas taps my shoulder and I look at him. He points in the direction of the car park and I look over to see Jace walking towards us. I stand up and run over to him. He picks me up in a hug and I smile at him.

"What's up, dad?" I ask as he places he back on the ground.

"Chelsea is in hospital here, she's gotten worse. Would you like to come see her?" He asks and I nod with tears welling up in my eyes.

"Lucas, stay with Jacob and make sure he doesn't get hurt." Jace says and Lucas nods.

Jace takes my hand and leads me to his SUV before driving to the hospital. He parks up and we get out before walking into the hospital.

Jace leads me up to where Chelsea is and I knock on the door. It opens and Chelsea's mum is standing there with a sad look on her face.

"Lily?" She asks and I nod. She wraps me up in a hug before letting me come into the room.

Jace and her parents go to get coffee so that I can have some alone time with Chelsea.

"Hey Chelsea." I greet as I sit in the chair beside her hospital bed.

"Lily?" She asks and I nod with a smile.

"Hey baby." I say before standing up and kissing her cheek.

"You look so different but a good different." She comments and I smile sadly.

"Yea it's been different these past six months." I reply and she nods.

"I hate being in here but I'm glad I'm not attached to any wires with needles or anything." She says and I smile. She still looks the same except she has a bandanna instead of her blue hair and she's a little paler.

I stroke her cheek and she grabs my hand, leading it to her lips. She kisses it gently before smiling up at me.

"Lilly, can you sing for me?" Chelsea asks.

"What do you want me to sing?" I ask with a small smile.

"If I die young." She answers and I nod.

"If I die young, bury me in satin

Lay me down on a bed of roses

Sink me in a river at dawn

Send me away with the words of a love song

Uh oh, uh oh

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colours, oh,
And life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

And I'll be wearing white, when I come into your kingdom
I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I've never known the lovin' of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holdin' my hand,
There's a boy here in town, says he'll love me forever,
Who would have thought forever could be severed by...

...the sharp knife of a short life, oh well?
I've had just enough time

So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls
What I never did is done

A penny for my thoughts, oh, no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singin'
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin'

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Uh oh
The ballad of a dove
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears, keep 'em in your pocket
Save 'em for a time when you're really gonna need 'em, oh

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls." I sing softly.

"Thank you, Lilly. I love you." She whispers.

"I love you too, Chelsea." I whisper back and kiss her lips softly.

I sit back properly and stroke my thumb over the back of her hand. Her hand goes limp in mine and I quickly feel for a pulse but nothing.

I kiss her forehead before running out of the room. Jace stands up and comes over to me.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"She's dead." I answer and he sucks in a breath before picking me up. I wrap my legs around his waist and arms around his neck as he carries me to find a nurse.

"Nurse, Chelsea Winters has flat lined." Jace states and the nurse gasps before everything turns chaotic.

I feel a soft hand on my back and I turn to see Mrs Winters.

"Thank you for everything you have done for her, Lilly." She says with tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mrs Winters." I reply but she shakes her head.

"Her last wish was to see you and she got that, we were expecting it." She says and I nod.

"I'm going to take her home but we'll keep in contact." Jace says and Mrs Winters nods.

Jace then carries me to the car and drives us home.

****

TWO DAYS LATER...

I am dressed in a black mid thigh dress, black cardigan and black pumps while standing in front of Chelsea's grave.

Chelsea's funeral has just finished and everyone has gone to the tent for food and drinks while I stay to talk with Chelsea.

"I love you, Chelsea, so much. I really wish you were still here but I'm glad that you are in a better place now and no longer in pain. I'm loving living with Jace and Dave but it's just not the same and I'm hoping the police find my family soon so I can be reunited with them. T--"

"We can help with getting you reunited with your family." I hear a man's voice say from behind me before something hits the back of my head and everything goes black.