Reason's Out

Third Person P.O.V. 

      Castiel and Sam are in the library, reading lore, since no jobs have turned up yet. They sit in silence until Sam breaks it.

             "Do you think we'll ever figure out what happened to Dean? It's been about three months, nothing has worked and we haven't found anything else." Sam says, looking up from the book, and looking at Castiel.

              "Yes, I think we will." Castiel lies, not looking up from the book. He already knows what happened, so does Dean, but they haven't told Sam. He feels terrible lying to him, but he's worried about what Sam might do.

        Sam just nods, even if Castiel can't see him, and continues reading.

        Dean walks into the library about half an hour later. Castiel closes the book and sets it on the table, then walks over to him and places a kiss on his cheek.

             "Good morning, Dean." Castiel says.

             "Morning, Cas." Dean says and finds his way to a chair at the table. "Morning, Sammy."

              "Morning." Sam says, flipping a page in the lore book. 

              "What are you reading?"

              "Just some lore."

              "Sammy, you're gonna have to stop looking, nothing's gonna fix me."

              "There has to be something." Sam insists.

              "Sam, there's not."

              "Just because you can fight and might be able to go on hunts now, doesn't mean we should stop looking!"

             "Nothing's going to work, Sam!"

             "Guys-" Castiel begins to say.

             "What?!" The boys respond in unison.

             "Stop arguing. Sam, nothing's going to help Dean." Castiel says.

             "What do you mean? Why do-" Sam gets cut off by Dean.

            "It was a crossroads deal!" Dean blurts, a sigh follows.

            "What? You guys knew and you didn't tell me?" Sam asks, looking between the angel and his older brother.

            "I was afraid that you'd-" Castiel gets cut off.

            "Sell my soul, right? Well I'm not. I'm not Dean."

            "Oh, really? Because I remember hearing that you got drunk off your ass and tried to sell your soul a million times to get me out of hell! Which only ended up with you sleeping with some demon bitch and drinking demon blood!!" Dean yells, standing up. Sam stands up also.

             "That was because you were in hell! I couldn't just stand there and do nothing!"

             "Well that's what you did when we were in purgatory!! You hit a damn dog and forgot all about Cas and me! You even stopped hunting!"

             "I apologized for that, and I didn't forget about you guys.."

             "I know you did and I forgave you a long time ago. And you're right, you didn't forget, you just didn't give a crap!! So why would you give a crap now that I'm fine, here with you, and alive?!" Dean turns away and leaves before he does something he'll regret. His hands ball up is fists, taking everything in him not to punch anything.

       He knows both Sam and Castiel are calling him, but doesn't turn back.

      He goes to his room and slams the door behind him. He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose and pacing back and forth.

     He sits on his bed after a while and rests his elbows on his knees, his face in his hands.

~~~~~~

      He hears footsteps, that sounds like Castiel's, come to the door.

     The door opens slowly, the footsteps get closer, and someone sits next to him.

              "He's pissed, isn't he?"

              "He's quite upset we didn't tell him, yes." Castiel says, "But I took the blame. So he's more upset with me than you. Plus he feels bad about you think he didn't care about us."

              "What did you tell him?"

              "I told him that I told you, not to tell him. That he shouldn't be upset with you, because I made you promise me not to."

              "And he believed you?"

              "Yes."

              "Should I get worried that you're getting okay at lying?" Dean asks, Castiel chuckles.

              "No, you shouldn't get worried."

              "That could be a lie." Dean nudges his angel.

              "You know it isn't." Castiel says.

              "I bet Sam's gonna find a job to get out if here and ignore us for a while, what should we do?"

              "You need to eat breakfast." Castiel stands up and pulls Dean up with him. They hold hands as they go into the kitchen.

        As Dean suspected, Sam wasn't there anymore. Probably went out for a walk, drive or something.

        The couple walks into the kitchen and Castiel makes Dean takes a seat. Dean tells him not to use the stove, to make him a sandwich or fly to get something, so he won't set the bunker on fire. He was only half joking.

        After Dean eats the sandwich that his angel made him, they go out walking.

        Their arms are intertwined as they walk down the warm concrete beneath their feet. The breeze making the grass and leaves dance gracefully. The rustling and crunching of leaves surround them.

         Castiel spends all day with his hunter. They don't practice fighting today.

         Instead, they spend most of the day holding each other and stealing kisses, trying to forget what happened this morning.

******

         Later on, at almost midnight, Sam comes back to the bunker and goes straight to his room. He gets ready for bed and lies down on his comfortable mattress.

          He thinks about what he did this afternoon, hoping he didn't make a bad choice to do what he did.

          He sighs and gets comfortable to fall asleep.