Final Chapter - Deal With The Darkness

Third Person's P.O.V.

   They both end up with deep wounds from the scratches of the Wendigo. There were three of them and it took a very long time to kill them all. They've been gone for around two days. Castiel manages to heal both of them before going back to the motel to rest. Castiel's grace is temporarily low, so the rest is pretty much a must. It's a small price to pay in exchange for their well-being.

   Before they go to the motel, Sam stops by a drive-thru and gets food. When they get to the room, Sam sits at the table to eat. Castiel sits on his bed and closes his eyes, his grace is so worn down that he can't even sense Dean's longing. It saddens him to not feel it, but he accepts it. Tomorrow, once he has his grace back, everything should be back to normal. Tomorrow, they'll head back home and see Dean again. For now, he just lies in bed and waits for it to be morning.

~  ~   ~  ~  ~   ~  ~

  All morning, Castiel has been having a bad feeling. There's really no reason to feel like this, but he does. Dean's longing is to a minimum, but it's there. Dean might have fell asleep or has distracted himself in some way, so Dean is fine. Still, Castiel cannot shake the feeling of something being wrong. There's no sense of demons or other creatures, so he and Sam are not in danger.

   On the way back home, Castiel knows something's wrong. There's no more feeling of longing from Dean, not in the slightest. It's absolute silence and it scares Castiel. Besides yesterday, that never has happened. His grace is fine, and until now, he's felt longing the whole time. Why would it stop now? Maybe he's overreacting, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

      "Sam, I believe there's something wrong with Dean. You need to hurry," Castiel tells him, looking over at the younger Winchester.

      "What's going on?" Sam asks, pressing more on the gas pedal.

      "I'm not sure, but I have a very bad feeling," Castiel replies.

   Sam doesn't ask any more questions, just speeds off home.

   When, they're about a mile away, they notice that the sky is darker than it should be. It seems to be night when it's afternoon. The clouds are dark, as if it were about to rain, and there's no sun shining. Sam and Castiel glance at each, seeing the confusion on each other's faces.

   Castiel is anxious the whole way to the bunker. It gets darker as they approach the bunker. Castiel jumps out the car before it has even fully stopped. Castiel runs out the garage and runs to Dean's room.

   Dean isn't there, listening to music like Castiel was expecting him to. Castiel didn't think he'd be anywhere but in his room. Castiel walks out of his room and goes out into the library. Nothing, it's empty and undisturbed. Sam walks in as Castiel is leaving to go to the kitchen. Sam follows the angel.

      "Where's Dean?" Sam asks.

      "I don't know, I can't find him."

   Castiel doubts that Dean would be outside without a good reason. He didn't really like going out for walks, only really likes going out if there's a hunt. With his sight gone, he cannot even know if there is a strange death around, or even get to the place of the case. So, Castiel searches the bunker for him, calling Dean's name out every once in a while.

    Sam joins him in the search for Dean. After searching a few more rooms, they go down to the dungeon. There's no one there either. Castiel and Sam are even more worried than before. The dark clouds had given them a bad vibe, and now Dean has disappeared. Castiel thinks the worst and Sam tries to think about where Dean could be.

~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~

    The first Dean sees are dark clouds whirling around him. He groans as he sits up. He looks around and his eyes land on a beautiful woman with brown hair and a black dress. He's completely at ease for some strange reason. He knows he can see because of her. All the guilt has just drained out of him. All the pain and suffering, gone. He is in pure bliss and it probably will be addicting.

      "Why did you do this?" Dean asks, referring to his eyes. 

      "I want you to be able to see me. We're bound, Dean," Amara moves a sleeve of her dress to the side, revealing the Mark of Cain. "That feeling your having, I feel it too. Plus, it was part of our agreement."

      "Okay," Dean takes a minute to process as he stands up, "So, what now?"

      "Well, I gave you your sight back. I will not hurt the others until the day has come for you to be with me. I will make sure there's a place for them in Heaven. Do you still accept?" Amara asks, stepping closer to Dean.

   Dean knows that if he doesn't say yes, Castiel and Sam will have to pay for it, so he nods. He accepts everything. Amara smiles and leans forward, her lips brushing against his. He kisses back, loving the feeling of not having the world on his shoulders. Which, reminds him of Castiel. Dean leans away from Amara and wipes his mouth with his sleeve.

      "Goodbye, Dean. I will see you soon. Take advantage of this Earth, because it won't be the same once I'm done with it."

   With that, Amara leaves, and Dean blacks out.

~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~

    Sam and Castiel walk about a mile away from bunker. Some time along the way, the dark clouds had gone away. Neither of them knew what it was, but it was very strange. They'd never really seen that before.

   Dean is nowhere to be found. They walk around a while more, they see a body on the ground. They run over to it, hoping it's Dean, and it is. They both kneel next to his body.

      "Dean," Castiel almost whispers, gently tapping Dean's shoulder.

   There's no movement, besides the barely noticeable up and down motion of his chest. He's alive, there's no notible harm done to him, and that's enough to be relieved about him being okay.

      "We should get him back to the bunker," Sam says, "Are your-"

   Sam is cut off by suddenly appearing in Dean's room, still kneeling.

       "...wings okay?" He finishes off weakly.

   Sam stands up and sees that Dean is on the bed, still asleep.

      "What do you think happened to him? Why do you think he was outside?" Sam asks.

      "I don't know. Dean might not even tell us."

      "Yeah," Sam sighs, "Well, I'm gonna go.." He moves toward the door as he says, "I'll be either in my room or the library if you wanna talk about anything."

      "Thank you, Sam," Castiel replies, along with a grateful nod. 

   Sam exits the room to leave the couple alone. Castiel brings a chair right next to Dean's bed. He watches over Dean, like the many countless times he has before. With his elbows resting on his knees and hands clasped together, he prays that Dean will be okay.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

   Castiel is sitting next to Dean on the bed. It's been a day and a few hours and Dean hasn't woken up. Both Castiel and Sam have faith that he wakes up.

   Castiel is absent-mindedly petting Dean's hair as if he were petting a delicate cat. He's watching Dean sleep peacefully. Castiel sighs and lets head fall back against the wall. He looks at a corner of the ceiling, just letting his mind wander.

      "I wonder what happened. What ever it was, it was enough to get rid of your thoughts and feelings. I knew something was wrong when I hadn't felt your longing. But it was strange, because before we found you, I had felt it again, but then it was gone in a second. After that, the skies cleared up," Castiel speaks his thoughts.

      "If we didn't leave for the hunt, maybe this wouldn't have happened," Castiel murmurs, "Or perhaps we shouldn't have taken that long to get back."

      " 'S not your fault," Dean slurs.

   Castiel almost snaps his neck with how fast he whips his head to look at Dean. Dean's eyes are still closed, but he shifts to lie on his side, facing Castiel. Dean lets an arm drape across Castiel's legs.

     "How are you feeling?"

     "Like shit," Dean mumbles, "What the hell happened?"

     "You don't remember anything?"

      "Bits and pieces, really. I'm not entirely sure if it was real."

      "It's alright, Dean. You just need a few days of rest."

   Dean nods and rubs his eyes. He opens his eyes and they wander around. Castiel frowns because there's really no way to get his sight back. Castiel lets his eyes close and goes back to resting his head against the wall. He lets his hand fall from Dean's hair when the hunter moves. He feels Dean shifting, making the bed shake gently.

   He opens his eyes when he feels Dean's hand cupping his jaw. Dean has so many emotions mixed on his face, it hard to tell what he's feeling. Looking into the green eyes, makes Castiel notice that he's looking right into his eyes.

      "Dean?" Castiel whispers, "Can you see me?"

   Dean's nod is quick as he smiles.

      "God, Cas, I missed you so much," Dean's voice quivers as he speaks.

   Castiel immediately connects his lips to Dean's for a moment. He takes Dean's hand that's now caressing his cheek and places kisses on his knuckles as he looks at his lover. He forgets about everything else for now, and focuses on Dean.

  •   •

   [Alright, everyone, I'm gonna end it here. It's an open ending, so you get to decide what happens. Thank you all for sticking through this, it's been months since I've updated and I apologize for that. I hope you liked it!]