Switch

Third Person's P.O.V.

It was like a switch.

One minute, Dean's hating himself, drowning in guilt. Wanting out already, wanting a reaper to just take him. Hell would be better than what he's putting himself through. Drinking, failing to numb the pain every time.

Then the next minute, he's up and out of the room. His teeth and hair brushed, has taken a shower, is wearing different clothes, has his sunglasses on. Acting as if nothing happened. Like he wasn't just torturing himself. Like he didn't kill all those people and didn't go to Hell again.

Of course, it's all fake, just an act.

He's just trying to be strong for the angel and his brother. He can't be weak. They need him to be strong and continue fighting. That's what he's going to attempt to do.

He's not going to let him down like he has before. He's going to better than that this time. He even ignores the pain in skull and the feeling of nausea.

Sam is surprised when he sees Dean walk into the library. He watches Dean make his way to the opposite side of the table.

"Hey, Dean.." Sam greets gently, not wanting to scare him.

"Hey, Sammy." Dean waves lazily in the direction of his voice.

"Do you want something to eat? I can make something, or I could go out to buy." Sam offers quickly. He knows Dean hasn't eaten anything, it's noticeable.

Dean thinks for a second, before he nods. If he's going to get better, he has to eat.

"Yeah... sure, whatever you wanna do." Dean shrugs.

"Alright, I'll be back in a bit." Sam says and gets up from his seat.

Dean nods and takes a seat at the table. When he hears the bunker's door open, he sighs and rest his head in his hands, elbows propped up on the table. He rubs his temples, trying to ease the pain going on in his skull, even though he knows it's useless.

"Hello, Dean." The voice makes him jump. He folds his arms on the table.

"Hey, Cas." Dean mumbles.

"My apologies, I did not mean to startle you." The angel says. The hunter just nods.

"How... How are you feeling?" Castiel asks hesitantly.

"'M fine," Dean mumbles, "and quit worrying."

"It's difficult not to, Dean. You're-"

"Yeah, I know how I am, Cas, you don't have to remind me." Dean snaps. He wants him to shut up, he can't really handle any noise at the moment.

Castiel just stands there quietly. Dean sighs after a while.

"Are you going to sit down or just stand there and stare at me?"

There's a moment of silence before he hears footsteps, then a scraping sound on the floor besides him.

He hears his angel sit and the shift of the chair.

"You're not fine." Castiel states.

"Yeah, I am."

"You can speak to me, Dean. I know you're in pain, and still feel guilt."

"What's there to talk about then?" Dean shrugs. "You know all the shit that's going on."

"You can talk about what happened. In Hell." Castiel suggests, but he already know the answer is..

"No."

Castiel just stays seated besides him.

It's not until that Sam comes back with food and pie, that they start talking again.

Although the pain is eating him alive, Dean fights through it, because he has too.

He's still supposed to take care of his little brother, and his angel.

And somehow, that's what he's going to do until his last breath.

●●
[Sorry that I took so long to update this and that it was short.

If you have any suggestions for this story, tell me! Thank you so much for reading!!]