Chapter 2 [ Edited]

" Well this isn't a good morning after all." Anna groaned, spotting Stacey from a distance.

Stacey Newman, a fellow cheerleading mate and one of the popular girls in Marian Royal high, stood in the midst of the other cheerleaders, totally immersed in conversation.

Pretty with blonde hair and blue eyes, a model's figure and all, she was filled with confidence and attitude, that made most freshmen desire to either be her or be acknowledged by her. Of course with that popularity, some disliked her. She had a way to make the guys fall at her feet and give her all she wanted. The sad part was that once she got what she wanted, she got bored and someone would be tossed aside.

And no matter the warning, some never learnt and found themselves repeating the same mistakes.

Despite being in the same team, there was a bit of tension between them. No matter the tension, it didn't affect the passion and determination to make their cheer team the best. Differences were set aside when it came down to business and all they had in mind was to make it work, till the end. 

In truth, putting up pretence sometimes was challenging for Anna, when something rubbed her off the wrong way. Anna was a very determined person and her desire for making it big in life, served as the kind of motivation she needed. She was determined to not let anything get in the way of her future plans, including little high school incidents.

Kate held in her amusement when she noticed Anna's expression. Kate found Anna's expression quite comical and was certain that Anna wasn't aware of it.

" You better hide that look on your face before anyone notices." Kate advised her, giving her a gentle pat on her shoulder before she walked over to her locker.

''If I didn't love to cheer so much, I would have quit a long time ago." Anna responded, sparing a glance to her teammates for a moment, before following her friend.

''I know, but don't let her get to you,'' Kate said as she crouched down to take something from her bag.

In the midst of saying something, Anna got distracted by the sight of someone approaching them, or more like an oblivious Kate. It was clear as day that the intention was to surprise Kate and that is why she agreed to silent watch Nick, her friend's boyfriend, do it. 

As if planned, Kate rose to her feet right at the moment Nick got closer. " I think -ah!" A startled Kate squealed , when Nick suddenly hugged her from behind, wearing a huge grin on his face.

Unfortunately he was wasn't aware of what Anna had just seen, which was slight fear flashing through Kate's eyes. He was simply happy to surprise his girlfriend. Nothing from Kate's reaction in which Anna witnessed, was normal. Her heart had dropped a little to her knees, watching her friend try to mask everything with a smile. She had no doubt that Kate didn't want to worry Nick and just wanted to pretend like nothing happened.

'' Hey you,'' Nick greeted, planting a kiss on her cheek.

''Hey.'' Kate replied softly, trying to maintain control over her nerves.

Right when Nick loosened his hold on her and stood in front of her, his demeanour suddenly changed. Concern had taken over when he sensed that something was off.

" Hey, are you okay?" He asked with deep worry in his tone.

" Hmm, y-yes, I'm good. I was a little surprise but I'm happy to see you." Her voice was a little shaky as she responded, which she thought wasn't noticeable but was mistaken about.

She definitely missed the exchange of looks between her best friend and boyfriend, as she was busy  packing things in her bag. Both of them pretended that they didn't see anything when she rose back to her feet again.