Chapter 8 [ Edited]

' Shh, just relax,' the cold man said.

' Please, let me go,' Kate pleaded.

'It's time for you to come back to me,' a grin so sick and twisted plastered on his face as he said these words.

Chills like no other filled her whole body as she felt trapped. She could not pin point where she was, but it was clear that she had been captured.

Kate woke up with a start and was already gasping for air. She could feel how sweaty she was and realised that the nightmares were back. 

It took a while for her to calm down due to how her body was affected by the dream. She was a sweaty mess and her throat felt dry. In that dream all her fears were present and that tormented her a great deal. She was literally suffocating. She believed that it was her desperation that pushed through and caused for her to finally wake up.

It didn't take too long for her figure out that what triggered these nightmares was the recent events, that occurred. They served as a reminder of her past and therefore now interfered with her present.

How was she supposed to try and let things go now? Unexplainable things were happening and only she was the witness, unfortunately. 

She hated whatever it was that served as a wall between her and that sense of freedom. She desired to have a sense of normalcy in her life and not be the kind of person that was always on edge and closed off. It hurt deeply that in the midst of opening up to her boyfriend, something seemed to hold her back and place her back to the start.

It seemed she woke up before the worst could happen and that relieved her greatly. The man in her dreams was scary and he was a reminder of her dark past. It saddened her to acknowledge that her childhood was far from being a childhood because of what she endured. That man appearing in her dreams like a dark cloud made her shiver in fear of possibly experiencing such a nightmare again. That man's presence was cold and dark, he was the true definition of why parents warned their children to not interact with strange men. 

She had no doubt that he wanted to snatch her away from all she knew and loved, and place her in a dark place, where there was no sign of life. She could already imagine that man who payed a visit in her dreams, how he'd hurt her and instill more fear in her, leaving her feeling helpless.

She didn't want to experience all that again, one nightmare had been enough and that is why she decided to not bother trying to sleep again. She needed a distraction and luckily a knock on her bedroom door did that. The person entered before she could answer, she felt relieved that it was Julie.  Kate noticed how dolled up she was and wondered if she missed something. 

She watched as Julie made her way onto her bed and how her whole demeanor changed, when she looked at Kate. 

Concern took over her face and this alone, made Kate squirm on the spot. 

" What's wrong? " She asked, reaching out her hand to touch Kate's forehead.

"I just had a bad dream that's all but the temperature will go down soon.''

"Kate when last did you take your pills?"

Kate felt the urge to lie to Julie but instantly changed her mind, she knew that Julie would instantly know. 

"A few weeks ago, maybe a month...." Kate trailed off, guilt already taking its place. 

As expected, her response made Julie's eyes to grow wide in shock. 

Not being able to handle the reaction, Kate got off the bed and put distance between them. While her back was facing her cousin, she was trying to calm her nerves. She already suspected what her cousin would say.