Chapter 22[Editing]

Going on the trip , still didn't sit very well with Kate but still, she found herself agreeing because of how both Anna and Nick were excited about it and never stopped talking about. She only had a few minutes left till Nick and the others arrived , luckily Nick's brother had lent them his really cool boat for transportation to Paradise Island. The few minutes she had had left, she already knew what she needed to do and it was a must to her.

Max paced back and forth in his living room, debating whether he should go over to Kate's house and try and talk to her before she left . Sudden doorbell ring pulled him out of his thoughts, swinging the door open, which made Kate take a step back, he was struck speechless.

" Kate" his voice went high pitched which surprised him.

" can I come in?" She asked quietly.

" yeah sure" he immediately moved out of the way and let her in.

Just seconds after he had closed the door and turned to face her, Kate shot forward and surprised him with a tight hug that had him stiffen for quite a while.

" why didn't you tell me sooner?" She asked quietly against his neck with watery eyes. Max sighed a breath of relief and hugged her back.

" I didn't want to ruin things by bringing back the past" he said, making her stiffen a bit.

She slowly moved away from him and took a step back as she looked at him, and took a hard look at him.

Sighing , she said" I guess you know huh?"

He nodded.

" it must have been traumatic" he softly said.

" it was more than that....but anyway I'm here to talk about our last meeting which was rather-"

" yeah well, I didn't keep my promise to you, that I'd come back for you and I'd be your-"

" you were Max, you were my hero, you actually saved me from losing it and following suit like my father"

Max looked down.

Kate continued" but I'm not him, I mean I've learnt to grow and try new things, I mean whoa look at you....I'm guessing life had been a real ride in the growing department"

" growing, well I can definitely say it has been a ride, a bumpy one in fact "

" bumpy ride, difficult as they come, you are doing something about it, working at Austin's place.."

" yea and it's all thanks to you"

" I didn't do much"

" no you did way and beyond and I'm forever grateful"
The both smiled at each other.

" well take it as me saying thank you for being such a good friend for me back then"

Silence filled the room and a question that had always been at the back of his mind, resurfaced again.

" why did you give me that poem?"

Surprisingly Kate did not since I'd seem startled but responded with this" well since my mom lives and breathe theatre, plays, drama and stories, she has done that last performance of Ezra. She had told me that the poem was both Ezra's poison and salvation. She said I should give it to the one who would find me and break the spell, I would wake up, just like Ezra did and discover a stranger who would become a part of my life. I think in her own way, she was telling me to give it to the one who would protect me, from what I believed she predicted about my life right before she passed on."

" and do you have doubts, now that you know me now, me having the poem?"

Before she could answer, the door bell rang, Max went on to answer it only to see Nick standing in front of him.