Chapter 17

~Liam~

"Niall!" I called, running after the crying boy. I chased him down the block, but I lost him at a corner. I stumbled back little, leaning against a brick wall. My fingers grazed over my lips, the place where Niall had kissed me only seconds before. His lips were soft, like how I would imagine a cloud to feel. His thin lips match perfect with my plumper ones. I felt heavy rain soak me even more, the water starting to ruin my shoes. I didn't care though. I needed to know what was happening to Niall.

I ran down to the street my hotel was on, which was the same street as the music shop. I saw the light of the shop on in the darkness of the night and sprinted to the door. When I got there, I saw that Harry was in there restocking instruments. I knocked on the door, seeing that it was locked. Harry turned toward me and smiled a little. He jogged to the door and unlocked it, letting me in. I walked in and closed the door behind me.

"Hey Liam," he said, picking up a box of harmonicas, "how's it going?"

"I'm worried about Niall," I explained, then I shook my head, "No, I'm terrified for Niall! He just left me crying, saying that it things were happening in his life. He wouldn't tell me anything, but I could see that he was in pain."

"Did he run into a post?" Harry asked, putting some harmonicas on a shelf, "That's how he got those red and purple bruises on his face." I tilted my head at his statement. That's not the story he told me about his injuries.

"You sure?" I responded, "He told me that he got those bruises due to him running into a doorframe while texting you." Harry shook his head.

"The day he got those bruises, he had helped a man with some CDs, then just left. He came back late that afternoon with a busted nose and chin." I thought about it for a second, then came to a horrible thought.

"Harry," I asked timidly, "Do you think Niall was...beat by that man?" Harry's eyes widened.

"He did tell me that one time his dad hit him while drunk when he was younger," he explained, "but he said it was only that one time. You think he was lying?" I nodded.

"In that sense, yes. Has he lied before?"

"He never seemed to be that kind of person. He was too quiet."

"He was never quiet when we were younger. He was always jumping around like a crazy guy. He isn't the same anymore. Even when it's just us two, he's different. How worried should I be?" Harry put the box down on the ground and turned to me.

"On a scale of 1-10...50." My eyes widened and I began to tremble. My best friend was in trouble, and I needed to help him.

"What's Niall address?" I asked Harry. He told me quickly. Within a one minute time frame, I was out the door and sprinting to Niall's flat complex. Once I got there, I went into the building and ran up the stairs to his floor. I found his door near the end of the hallway and knocked on it.

"Niall?" I asked loud enough for him to hear. All heard from the other side was movement. I knocked on the door again.

"Niall? It's Liam. Can I come in?" I heard rummaging; drawers we're opening and doors were closing. I hit the door lounger with my fist.

"Niall! Please let me in!" I couldn't hear anything except sobbing after that. It was a quiet sob, but it sounded like he was in internal pain. I kept banging on the door, getting both aggravated and scared at the same time. He was most likely ignoring everything around him; blocking out the world. I kept banging and pleading for Niall to let me in, but the door never opened. I heard the crying stop after a few minutes and started freaking out. I kept banging on the door loud while I screamed his name.

"Niall!" I cried, "Niall open the goddamn door! Open the door! Please! Niall please!" I then felt a tug on my shirt. I turned around to see a little girl behind me. Her hair a dark and her eyes were light. She wore a pink jumper with a pair of blue jeans.

"Are you okay?" She asked me I a sweet, carefree voice. I knelt down to her and nodded.

"I'm just annoyed with my friend," I lied with a fake smile, "do you know how I can get into his flat?" She nodded a little.

"We are told by the big guy to keep a key under the mat." She pointed to a small welcome mat in front of the white door. I lifted it to see a sliver key. My eyes lit up as I grabbed it and put it into the keyhole of Niall's front door. The key turned, and the door unlocked. I opened the door with ease. I looked to the little girl.

"Thank you," I told her, "so much." She smiled sweetly at me.

"You're welcome," she responded with perfect manors. I smiled back at her and went into Niall's flat. It was dark, considering the fact that no lights were on except for a room with a closed door. I went to the light and knocked on the door.

"Niall?" I asked quietly. He didn't answer. I turned the knob and discovered that it was unlocked. I slowly opened to door, a little scared to see what was on the other side. I closed my eyes as I moved the door. Once it was completely open, I opened my eyes to see the most horrible sight, causing me to immediately fall to my knees and sob.

There, on the cold bathroom floor, my wonderful Niall laid unconscious with pills around him and bleeding slits on his arms.

He had tried to kill himself.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!! I promise it will get better!