Chapter 20

~Liam~

As soon as Prof. Newman let us out, I literally sprinted to the hospital with real motivation. I used the map on my phone to find the hospital, which was a good half hour walk from the plaza. It even took that long running, and I was on the track team in high school. Once I had reached the hospital, I ran into the lobby and slowed my pace as I went to the front counter.

"Hello sir," the secretary said sweetly, "How may I help you today?" I fiddled with my hands, suddenly getting nervous about seeing Niall.

"What room is Niall Horan in?" I asked. The lady smiled and turned to her computer. She started typing things in at a mile a minute. She could obviously touch type, unlike me and most of the people I knew. The lady used her mouse to click on something on the computer, then turned back to me.

"Mr. Horan is in room D07," he explained, "That would be on the fourth floor, room 7." I smiled at her.

"Thank you for your help," I said before jogging to the elevator. I clicked the up button and waited a minute for the metal doors to open. Once they did, I stepped into the elevator and pushed the 4th floor button. The doors closed shortly after and the contraption moved up.

As soon as the doors opened again, I raced to room 7. I looked as I passed the other rooms, looking at the numbers.

10, 9, 8, 7...

7!

I looked at the folder in the door and saw Niall's name on the front along with the reason he was there.

Horan, Niall James

Attempted Suicide w/ Overdose and Self-Mutilation

Seeing those words hurt me. Just the word suicide made me feel sick. Before I knocked on the door, I heard voice from inside.

"I can't believe he tried this," I woman's voice said. She was Irish, so it must have been Niall's mum. I was wondering what she looked like nowadays.

"He's going to live Ms. Horan," Harry's voice said in a calming voice, "He had seemed...different the past few weeks."

"How?"

"He kept skipping work," Louis explained in a sad tone, "and he wouldn't say why or he would lie. The two of us were gullible enough to believe him if we was lying. We know he's gay, but we didn't think he was ashamed of it in anyway. I seriously have no clue why he tried this." That's when I decided I wanted to go in. I knocked on the door softly, just kind enough for the three people inside to hear me.

"Finally!" I heard Louis express from the other side of the door. He opened it and smiled at me.

"Glad you were able to come," he told me. I smiled slightly and walk in. I immediately stopped my movement when I saw Niall.

He was laying sound asleep on the bed, his blond hair tattered and skin so pale still. The flesh had regained some color, but not much. The slits on his arms were sewn back together with black stitches, the medical thread loops sticking out of this arms like a sore thumb. Two-thirds of his body was covered by a blanket, only half of his torso showing. He had an oxygen mask on his mouth, his slow breaths creating condensation within the plastic. He had tubes and wires connected to him, giving him fluids and monitoring his heart rate. It was steady; the soft beeps sounded at a calm pace. I shakily exhaled as I moved closer to him.

"I-I..." I stuttered, not being able to get a word out, "This can't b-be him..." Harry walked up to me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"It is..." He admitted to me and himself, "It's so unreal...and scary." I nodded, looking at the broken boy on the bed.

"Excuse me?" I heard a voice say. I turned to Niall's mother. She was so much older. Grey hairs were mixed in with her blonde hair, wrinkles forming near her eyes and mouth.

"Yes?" I asked softly, knowing not to talk too loud in the hospital. Doctors hated disruption.

"Who are you?" She asked me, "and how do you know my son?" I bit my bottom lip. She obviously didn't remember me. I was much older, of course. She wouldn't have remembered me even if she looked close enough.

"You've met me Ms.," I admitted, "It was a long time ago, but I know Niall very well." Ms. Horan sighed and stood up from her chair. In the process, her wallet fell out of her pocket, many photos falling out and scattering everywhere.

"Oh, let me help you," I said, getting on the ground with her. I gathered some photos. Most were of her and Niall together in different places. I then came across one that made me smile.

It was of Niall and I at the park near my old house in Wolverhampton. We were on the swings, us sitting in adjacent ones. The sun was setting behind us, and in was the perfect lighting for the picture. We had so much fun they day. We were only 9. We had just finished playing a game of tag, and we wanted to do a swinging contest. After that was over, his mum took that photo. We were laughing, facing near each other. I smiled and studied the picture more. Before I could get a good look at it, Ms. Horan snatched it out of my hand and put it in her wallet.

"Are you some kind of stalker?" She asked me in a disgusted tone. I sighed and stood up.

"I remember that day," I said instead of answering her question, "Niall tagged me randomly and we just started chasing each other, causing so much ruckus to the people around us. Then I challenged him to a hight competition on the swing, and he won. He had so much more power in his legs. Then I did something really stupid and he laughed. The I laughed. That was when you took that picture. It was such a great day." Ms. Horan looked at me surprised. She remembered me.

"Liam?" She asked in a quiet voice, "Liam Payne?" I smiled and nodded slightly.

"Hi Maura," I responded. She crawled over to me and hugged my tight. I hugged backs little, then pulled away. I stood up and wiped away the dust on my trousers.

"Wow," Maura said as she stood up, "You have gotten so tall and, must I say, handsome. I thought I'd never see you again." I smiled a little.

"Things happen." I said with a small, playful smirk.

"Uh, guys?" Louis said, poking my arm, "I think Niall's waking up." I turned my head to see Niall stirring in his sleep. He groaned a little, moving his legs. He finally fully awoke when his eyelids opened, revealing the beautiful blue orbs I had always known and loved.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Niall is awake! Please vote!