Chapter 22

~Niall~

I was discharged from the hospital about 3 days later. When I was finally able to change out of the horrible hospital gown, I threw on a pair of dark wash jeans and a random jumper my mum brought me. I had to be wheeled out of the hospital in a wheelchair for some odd reason, but it was fun. Liam wheeled me out, smiling at me the whole time. I smiled back, finally happy to be in a relationship with him and happy to be out of that damn hospital.

Let's just say that my time awake in the place was awful for the most part. The nurses were always rude to me. I think one of them found Liam attractive and was mad a me for dating him. My other nurse just plain hated her job and would always complain while giving me my food or anything else I requested, which was pretty much nothing except my meals and water every so often. My doctor brought in a therapist to talk to me, and all I said to her was to read my note and she would see why I had tried to end my life. I didn't need to talk to anyone.

Anyway, we reached the exit doors of the hospital and I was allowed to stand up. I used my hands to press on the arms of the wheelchair to push myself into a standing position, and I stood up completely. I was about to walk out when I heard my doctor call for me.

"Mr. Horan," he said as he reached me, "I almost forgot to take the wrapping off of your arms." I rolled up my sleeves up to my elbows. I looked down at the white bondage on my forearms, watching the doctor slowly unwrap the thin material. As he finished my left arm, I saw black stitches holding my slit together, letting it heal. My right arm looked the same.

"You are booked for an appointment with me near the end of the month," my doctor explained, "That is when we will take the stitches off. You made a pretty deep cut, so the stitching will have to be on there longer than normal."

"That won't bother me," I said, and the doctor nodded.

"If anything happens again, just give us a call. Please, don't try to do that again. For your own and your family's sake." I nodded.

"I think I learned a lot from this experience," I admitted to the doctor, knowing my mum and Liam were also listening, "I was given another chance to live, so that means I have reason to be here, right? I'm not dead, so that means something. I'm here, breathing in the oxygen and seeing the beautiful world around me. I get the chance to see my best mates get married. I get the chance to hell my mum with any financial problems she has. And I get the chance to be happy with the one person to care for me deeply. If that's not a sign to live, then I don't know what is." The doctor smiled.

"I'm glad to hear that, Niall. Now, go live your life to the fullest." I nodded and turned to my mum and my boyfriend. I pulled my sleeves back down and walked over to them. I felt Liam grab my hand once I was over to him.

"Well," mum said, "I have to be back at work by later today. My boss had been on my arse all week because I left to see you. Be safe, Ni."

"I promise," I said. She kissed my head before running out to her rental car. I turned to Liam, who smiled at me and walked out of the hospital with me.

"I'm the only one who understands you?" He asked. I laughed a little and nodded.

"Pretty much. In all fairness, you were the only person I would come to in a crisis when we were younger. I guess I should have done that a few days ago instead of running off." He nodded, intertwining out fingers. Our hands fit together like matching puzzle pieces. I leaned against him as we walked to my flat.

"I have planned something for us tonight," Liam told me as we turned into the street my complex was on. I looked to him and raised an eyebrow.

"And what would that be?" I asked. Liam only smiled teasingly.