Chapter 28

~Liam~

"Where are you taking me?" Niall asked as I guided him to our date. I was going to surprise him again like I did with our first date. He had a blue blindfold over his eyes and was stumbling around. He was so anxious and it made him adorable.

"Don't worry," I said, not answering his question, "We'll be there in a minute or so." I turned a corner and we began walking on grass. As the area I had set up came into view, I drug Niall even more while I picked up the pace.

"You're gonna dislocate my shoulder!" Niall complained more, and I just chuckled. Once we reached the area, I placed Niall in the spot I wanted him in.

"Should I be worried?" Niall asked, "If not, I am." I laughed a little more.

"Don't be," I reassured him, "This isn't anything perilous."

"It better not be!" I sighed and stood behind him. I quickly made sure everything was prepared before I untied the knot on the back of the blindfold and removed it from his eyes. I heard Niall gasps as he placed his hand over his gaping mouth.

For our date, I set up a small picnic area with lights strung into the branches of the trees surrounding the blanket and basket. It was right near a little pond near the edge of the garden area I had visited around a week earlier. That was how I found the area. I softly took Niall's soft, smaller hand and guided him to the blue and black plaid blanket, sitting opposite of him.

"This is amazing," Niall said, still in awe, "You didn't have to do this for me." I smile slightly and got two wine glasses and a bottle of champagne from the basket.

"But I wanted to," I replied, "and you deserve it." I poured us each a half glass of champagne and handed one over to Niall. He smiled and took a sip of the alcohol, as did I.

"What's for dinner?" Niall asked, looking into the basket. I quickly slid it closer to me, not wanting him to see what was inside. I reached in and got our two tubs of pasta and a box of rolls.

"Oh," Niall said, licking his lips, "Italian." I smiled and nodded.

"I made it while you were at work today," I explained. Niall snapped his fingers and posted at me as if he figured something out.

"That's why the kitchen smelled like garlic! I thought something had gone bad in the fridge." I shook my head and took a bite of the pasta. I had to admit, it wasn't that bad for my doing. Niall also took a bite. I watched him close his eyes and let out a pleasurable sound.

"Oh my god," Niall said with his mouth still full. He swallowed his bite and looked at me, "This is amazing!" I smiled at him for the billionth time that evening.

"Thank you," I replied. We spent probably 15 more minutes eating our food and talking about random things. Niall talked about how Louis finally got Harry an engagement ring and how Harry couldn't stop drooling over it. Apparently, it was super expensive and Louis almost went broke. I talked about how nice it was to have a free day from all of my classmates for the first time in two weeks. I was absolutely sick of Andy and Cheryl.

"They apparently made this new friend at a bar the other night," I explained, "This guy somehow 'gets' them and they hit it off real fast."

"Why does that even concern you?" Niall asked me. I shrugged and took a sip of my drink.

"No clue. They just told me- well, blabbed to me. They love this guy, I swear."

Niall took another bite of his food and asked, "What's the guy's name?"

"They didn't say," I answered, "and I don't care." Niall nodded and finished with his plate around the same time I did. I got out a chocolate cake I also made and we shared that. We took turned feeding each other small bites, savoring the taste of the sweetness.

"Is that all you have planned for me tonight?" Niall asked after we finished the cake. I sighed and shook my head. It was time for me come clean on why the date was like it was.

"Niall," I said, moving closer to him and softly took his hand, "There's a reason I did so much for this date." Niall raised an eyebrow.

"And that would be...?" My heart began to race. I didn't want to tell him, but he needed to know.

"B-Because..." I stuttered, tears threatening to escape my eyes, "Because I-I'm leaving tomorrow..."

Niall's normally cheery face broke down into a pale, lifeless figure. His eyes dulled as they began to water, a single tear falling over and sliding down his cheek.

"...what?" He said in a whispered tone after a very long silence. I quickly wiped a tear that almost fell down my face. I didn't want Niall to see me cry.

"I'm going back home tomorrow," I explained in a sad, low voice, "We've been here a month now, and it's time we go back. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner..." I finally gave up on not crying. I let silent tears fall down my face as I looked to the ground beneath me.

"I'm so sorry Niall..." I whispered through my tears. I felt a slight pressure of my hand. I looked up to see Niall smiling a little at me, his face glistening with dried tears. Had he already stopped crying?

"It's okay," he told me, wiping the tears from my eyes with the pad of his thumb, "We'll get through this. I know we will." I sniffled a little and regained my posture a tiny bit. How was he being so positive about this?

"How do you know?" I asked, and Niall gave me a reassuring look.

"I was going to wait to tell you this," he said slowly with a small smile, "but Harry, Louis, and I sent in our applications last Monday. I guess NYU is one hell of a fast school because...we got in." My eyes lit up hearing those words.

"You got in?" I asked, making sure I was hearing things correctly. His smile grew and he nodded.

"I'm going to NYU in the fall," he explained in a happy tone, "Full scholarship." My face cracked into a large smile as I sat up on my knees and engulfed him into a large hug. Niall wrapped his arms around my waist and squeezed me back tightly. We were then crying tears of utter joy and bliss. I moved my head from Niall's shoulder and pulled away from the hug a little, only to pull him into a kiss.

Our lips moved in unison, as they usually did. Every time I kissed Niall, it felt like the first time in the rain, even though they were all different. This one was full of many things:  Passion, Reassurance, Need, Want, and Love. We clawed at each other's shirts as we deepened the kiss at the same time. We then melted into each other, and we sank into the ground. Niall laid on top of me as he placed his hands on my chest. I tangled my fingers into his perfect blond hair, practically massaging the roots where his hair was still brunette. At that moment, where we were laying on the grass sharing our love in that kiss, I knew we would make it far.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

You know the drill.