31

Mum sat next to me.

Smiling.

There were flowers.

Lilies everywhere.

My ribs hurt.

When I told mum in a mutter she left to get the nurse.

The pain went away as I went to sleep.

Awake again with mum asleep in her chair in a different pair of clothes, i can feel the bruises on my skin. The flowers had been replaced with others.

Balloons hung from the bed post.

The TV was going playing the end of a movie.

I closed my eyes and groaned.

It was early in the morning or late afternoon I couldn't tell through the blinds. I tried to pull myself up but I was feeling pretty weak so I just lay there watching the credits on the movie end and then watching the same repetitive main menu screen play over and over.

I saw the remote next to my bed and retched for it but in my feeble state I managed to knock it to the floor. this awoke mum and she smiled at me, I smiled back.

"How are you?" she asked.

I just shrugged and rubbed my eyes.

"What," I rubbed my head, "what happened?"

"You were hit by a car, you're in Wellington now, safe and sound, do you remember anything?"

I nodded but didn't tell my mother what happened.

"You've got two broken ribs, a broken leg and you dislocated your shoulder and broke it in two places."

"Lady," said a voice from the door way, "are you yet living?"

I expected to see one of the boys but it was my ex.

He stood, in proper clothes with a bunch of roses.

"Hi," I said, "a little confused."

"Am I not allowed to check if you're okay?"

"I don't -"

"I just came to give you flowers,' he smiled an placed them next to my bed and smiled, "this is my first visit unlike others," he smiled at my mother who shock her head.

"What?" I asked, "who?"

"Um," my mother looked at her feet and my ex took the spare seat near her.

"Mum?"

"Lily dear, I'm sorry but- you don't have to worry, they're just gone."

"I don't understand?" I asked.

"They're gone, Lil, the boys, onto the next country, places to be."

"Oh."

I smiled.

"Oh don't be sad dear, I know how you feel-"

"No, it's okay, it's okay."

Was I okay?

With it all ending like this?

"I think I'll go." my ex said.

"No stay!" I said reaching out a hand, "stay, please."