Chapter 13

Nothing worth having comes easy. 

~Tumblr~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Kailee was laying on her bed, staring at the ceiling. 

Mikeal was back. 

Surely he'd remember her, right? 

She had done everything to convince Rebekah that Henrik was not Henrik, something that pained them both and now it could be for nothing as Mikeal could blow it all. 

She knew Henrik couldn't sleep either because he came through her door and laid down next to her. 

She turned to him and smiled. "Just like the old days." 

"We're used to the enviroment." Henrik answered, clearly ignoring her statement. "Do you think we could go out tomorrow?" 

"I'm sure we could, I've wanted to show you the Grill. Rebekah and I decided to meet up there before homecoming, something you are accompanying me to." 

"Am I now?" He asked playfully. 

"Yes!" She said. "It's already painful to go with my brother, please don't make me go with my son." 

"Nobody knows he's your son." He reminded her. 

She chuckled humorlessly. "It bothers me that I can't anounce to everyone that he is my son, you know? He's been making me proud lately and I can't act like the proud mother that I am." 

"I know how you feel. I wanted to tell 'Bekah I was her brother, alive and I couldn't... instead I am your cousin." He looked down before looking in her eyes with tears in his. "I don't want to be your cousin! I want to be your brother, like I always am. I don't want to be dead to Rebekah! I want to assure her, tell her I'm alive." 

She looked down and remembered the excuse they made up to throw Rebekah off the wagon. 

"Henrik, that was his name right?" Kailee asked, deciding to play dumb. 

"Yes, it was." The blonde answered. 

"Well, this is my cousin, Rik." 

"Nice to meet you, Rebekah right?" He asked.

The blonde nodded, taking his hand. "Yes, it is nice to meet you. Sorry for the reaction, it's just... if my brother would've lived, he would look exactly like you." 

"It's okay, I can understand your reaction. It must be hard, definitely if you were close." 

"We were, maybe not as close as I was with Elijah but we were... close, he was my brother. I miss him still." 

"Understandable but I am sure he is looking over you and your family. He'll always be with you, believe me." 

"Thank you." She looked at the clock and smiled at the two. "I need to go but I might come by tomorrow." 

"How about the Grill again? Before homecoming? I might bring Rik and my other cousins." 

"Sure, sounds good." She turned around but called over her shoulder. "Bye!" 

"It's hard." Henrik admitted. 

Kailee nodded in agreement. "Yes, it is but let's hope it doesn't last too long. I'd like to be reunited with my family again, I'm sure you do too." 

The next day, Kailee was making breakfast with Henrik while her daughter and son were getting ready for the day. 

Just like the old days, in the past, when Elijah was gone for a night and Henrik was over at her hut, they would sleep in the same bed and they would talk until late in the night before falling asleep.