Chapter 26

Do not judge my story from the chapter you walked in on. 

~Unknown~ 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

It didn't take long for Elijah to figure out where he could find his wife. After all, there was only one place that actually meant something to her.

The lake.

They met there, they got together there, they kissed for the first time there, they got engaged there and later married at the lake. Everything that had some importance in their relationship had found place at the lake.

With soundless steps, he entered the clearing where the lake once was. He had missed it when he first came back to Mystic Falls, noticing straight away that it was gone.

There, where they had always sat together, Kailee sat down while staring off in space. She was a true vision to him.

"You know,-" She started. "This place was the first thing I visited when I returned. I knew it was gone but the memories stayed and while you didn't remember me, I could remember us."

"Kailee-"

"I can't believe I tricked myself into believing that you would just... fall for me again. Years have passed, 1000 years, and you don't- didn't- remember me. I should've known better. I didn't." A humorless chuckle escaped her. "I was happy, it's why the spirits sent me back- to give me a second chance at being happy. They succeeded but it seems their plan failed here. You don-"

"I love you!" He interrupted her, catching her attention.

"What?" It sounded weak, even to her. She turned to him for the first time since he came into the clearing. "Don't ju-"

"Kailee Mikealson, I love you." He kneeled next to her and showed her, her wedding band. "It might need replacement, but for now it will do. Kailee Mikealson, you have been a light to me when I was in the dark and I love you for it. You have stolen my heart and you did not even know it. Kailee Mikealson, with this ring I vow to love you, every day without bounds, to be loyal to you and our love, to laugh with you when you're happy, support you when you need it and to guide you when you need my help and ask for it. To have and to hold, until eternity."

"Your-"

"My wedding vows to you. I meant them then and I mean them now. Kailee, you are my love, my life. I only let Elena flirt with me because I thought that it would make you jealous and hoped you would do something- anything. Because ever since I met you, now and a thousand years ago, I have been attracted to you. Insanely."

"How did you remember?" Kailee asked, genuinely curious. "I know you came here and followed me to my apartment. I have shown you things that held importance to us. You've even interacted with our children, I don't get it."

He slid her ring on her finger and kissed it before taking her necklace and putting it around her neck, accompanying her engagement necklace. "These are why. My necklace and your ring. I saw them and I remembered. Do all my siblings remember?"

"Yes, Rebekah remembered after I called her 'button'. Niklaus was the easiest, he just needed to see Henrik and I together to remember. I was over at your place for the ball when I was teasing Kol, he remembered. I have no idea if Finn remembers but I think he does. Esther never forgot me, she just needed to see me. She changed though, she hates me now."

"What about father?"

"Oh, he knew when I helped Niklaus push a stake through his heart. Niklaus already remembered by then. He came to check up on Rebekah and... and well, he saw me and Henrik together. It was homecoming that day, the day they plotted to kill Nik."

"Did he think you were in on it?"

"He asked and I answered honestly. You know I can't lie."

"So, you weren't?" Elijah asked.

"Of course not. First off, Elena never liked me. Do you remember what I told you in the beginning, when we met? That I didn't talk much?" When he nodded, she continued. "It took Caroline four months before I would talk."

"Yet, you talked to me when we first met."

"Like I said, the spirits sent me back to find happiness. If I wanted happiness, I needed to talk and I did actually trust you... sometimes I think it was love at first sight, do you know what I mean?"

"Oh, I do." He said, leaning in to kiss her. "Stop me if this is not what you want."

"This is what I want." She said barely finishing her sentence because his lips crashed down on hers. 

She threw her arms around his neck as she pushed herself against him, wanting to be as close to him as she could be. It had been nearly two months now and she missed him every day since she came back. 

He groaned as he pushed her down, hovering over her as she laid down on the ground. 

She moaned as she felt his hands starting to wander. As much as she wanted to do that with him again, because she did, but she didn't want to do that at the lakeside or where once was the lakeside. 

"Mhm-" She said, gently pushing him off of her. "Elijah." 

"What?" He asked, looking upset. "I thought this was what you wanted." 

"It is." She smiled but shook her head. "I just don't want to do that here." 

He sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have reacted like that. I just-" 

"You missed me. I know that, I missed you two." She stood up, pulling her jacket right. "But I know of others who have missed you as well. A certain brother. Or maybe your son, who has looked at you as if you were a god for years. Perhaps your daughter, the one who thinks you hung the moon?" 

"I want to see them." He said, standing up next to her. 

"What?" 

"I want to see our children. My brother." 

.

.

.

.

No pictures!