Chapter 23

Dreams don't work until you do. 

~Unknown~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You seem to be in nice company." Elijah commented. "Who are they? Except for Rik, of course." 

"Alexander and Lysandra, also known as Alex and Lysa." She told him, inwardly giggling by how jealous he sounded so she didn't tell him that the twins were her 'cousins'. 

"They seem nice, especially Alexander." He said, spitting out the name. 

Over his shoulder, she found her son watching them from the sideline with an amused expression, most likely having heard what he said. "They are. He is, he has been my prince ever since we've known each other." 

"Have you ever been in love with him?" He asked, unable to stop himself. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to impose. It's just, you seem kind of close and how you talk about him." 

"No, we've never been together. It would be weird, we've always been together." She shrugged. Everyone around them, switched partners yet  Elijah kept her in his arms. "I'm quite sure you had to give me to another dancepartner." 

'As if I'd ever do that' He thought. "Did I? Oh well, we're too late now." 

"Right." She smiled. "Anyway, I've never been with Alexander. Not in the way you believe we've been together." 

"But, you've-" 

"We live together, have for a while now." She said. "I was kicked out at age 15, I've moved in with him right after and after I moved here, he spend entire summers at mine but stayed at home. We lived in Ipswitch." 

"Nice town. I have lived there for a while." He said. "Nice people." 

"Yeah. He came to live with me a few weeks ago, nearly a month and a half ago. My siblings came after my father beat my sister in the hospital." 

"What?" He asked. "Is she here?" 

"No, Ayanna was only discharged today so she wanted to get some rest at home. My other siblings stayed with her." 

"Ayanna? Another old name. Kailee, the way you write your name is an old one as well, is it not?" 

"It is. We all have old names. My name is Kailee, my brother is Björn." 

"Björn Ironside?" Elijah guessed. 

She nodded. "Yup, we have my sister Sylvi then and then the twins Ayanna and Freya." 

"My sister-" 

"Was named Freya before she died." She said. "I know and Ayanna was a family friend when you were humans." 

"You really know our history, don't you?" 

"I do. I am friends with your sister, you know." She said just as said sister appeared next to her. "Rebekah." 

"Elijah, mother is going to talk. We're going to toast in a bit. Elena Gilbert is also looking for you." 

His eyes lit up, something that Kailee saw. Groaning inwardly, she stepped back and said in a cold voice. "You should go." 

"Kailee..." He started but she already turned around and walked away, towards Henrik. 

"Kailee?" He asked, as he turned his gaze away from his niece and nephew dancing in the middle of the room. "What's up?" 

"I'm going home. You guys can stay if you want." She said but before she finished her sentence, her children were standing next to them. "Guys, it's up to you." 

"We're coming with, of course." Alexander assured his mother with a smile. "At least, I will." 

"I will as well." Her daughter said with a smile. 

"I- I will-"

"You will stay, Henrik. Stay with them, spend some more time with them." The oldest said sternly. "You just got them back." 

Henrik smiled brightly. "Thank you. Don't wait up for me tonight." 

"We won't." She said. They smiled and walked out. Passing Niklaus, Kol and Rebekah, they were stopped by Kol. 

"Well, who is this pretty lady?" He asked Kailee. 

"This pretty lady is not interested." Kailee huffed. "Nik, Rik is staying but I'm taking the car, can you drop him off later?" 

"Sure." 

"Not interested, huh? Everyone is." 

"Does it hurt, baby girl?" She teased him, knowing he used to hate it as well. "Not used to rejection, baby girl?" 

"Baby girl?" Kol asked. "I'll let you know I'm all man." 

"I'm sure you are, baby girl.

"I'm not a baby girl!" 

"Of course you're not, darling girl." She continued teasing him. 

He huffed as she pinched his cheek. "I'm not a darling girl. Nor a baby girl." 

"Sure you're not, pumpkin." She said. 

"Kailee!" He exclaimed before gasping and remembering everything. Her name had come into his mind. "Kailee!" He repeated. 

"Kol..." She began, all playfulness leaving. "Are you okay?" 

"Kailee!" 

"Can he say something else than my name?" She asked his siblings. "What's going on." 

"Quite sure that he is remembering, love." Niklaus assured her. "Are you really leaving already? We haven't even toasted yet." 

"Yes, I'm going to leave. Elijah is a bit too eager to talk to the döppelganger, so excuse me but I really like to go." 

Kol stood up. "What?" 

"What?" Kailee repeated, not knowing what he was talking about. 

"My brother, what is it?" 

"He doesn't remember, Kol." Rebekah told him. 

"Oh... Oh." He said with wide eyes. "I'm sorry, Kails." 

She smiled at the familiar nickname. "It's okay, Kol. I'm fine. We really got to go and your mother is going to propose a toast, I think you need to go." 

"I'll catch up with you tomorrow. I am coming over." Kol promised as he kissed her cheek and left. 

The two other siblings smiled and said their goodbyes as well before leaving the three to leave the party at once. 

From the corner of her eye, Kailee saw Elijah watching the three with sad eyes but she paid him no mind as it had been fairly obvious that he'd rather be with the Gilbert döppelganger than with her and his children. 

"Let's go home." Lysandra suggested once they were outside. 

"You know what?" Her mother countered. "Let's go to the Grill. Spend some time together." 

.

.

.

.

No pictures. 

Next chapter will be mostly some family fluff and Elijah will remember soon as well, that's a promise!