Chapter 19

Difficult roads often lead to a beautiful destination

~Unknown~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Kailee,-" Niklaus' voice sounded as Kailee held her phone between her shoulder and ear as she was choosing her outfit for the day. It was late, already after 1 but she had spent the morning in her pj's. "-Elijah just told me that the Salvatore brothers have asked for a meeting. I was wondering if you could be there with me?" 

"Niklaus, you are aware of my relationship with the Salvatore brothers, right? It's not the best." She huffed. "In fact, it's horrible. We hate each other." 

Taking out a dress, Kailee held it up as she inspected it closely. "Even better!" 

"What are you talking about, Nik?" 

"Think abut it, Kailee! I have the upperhand, I always will and if the girl they hate is close to the person with the most power, how do you think they will feel?" 

"I don't know, Nik. It seems a bit..." 

"Kailee, come on. What do you have to lose?" He asked. 

"Fine, I'll come. What time do you need me there?" 

"I'll expect you to be here before 7, that's when the Salvatores arrive." He said. "I need to go, I'll see you soon." 

"Bye." She managed to say before he hung up. Scoffing at the phone, she threw it on her bed before turning back to her clothes. "Now, what to wear?" 

Finally, nearly an hour later, she emerged from her bathroom in her clothes for dinner at Mikealson mansion. She had chosen a blue crop top with a matching skirt that went down to underneath her knees and cream/white heels. 

She took her bag and went to the living room where her siblings were interacting with her children and her brother in law. 

"Guys, I'm going over to dinner with Niklaus and Elijah. I'll be home before midnight but don't wait up for me. Björn, make sure that your siblings go to bed at a decend hour please. Yes, I mean you, Freya but Sylvi will go to bed with you as well. Keep in mind that we're going to the hospital tomorrow, please. Ayanna will be discharged and we're all picking her up. Henrik, you are definitely coming with. You know how she admires you." She gives directions. 

"Of course." Henrik said with a slight blush on his cheeks. Kailee made note to ask him about that. "I'll be there. You go." 

"Okay." She kissed both her children's head. "Bye, guys." 

"Bye mom!" They chorused. "Have fun." 

"Doubtful." She snorted as she closed the door behind her. 

Arriving at the manor, she was full of nerves at the prospect of seeing her husband again. Her husband that does not remember her. 

The husban she loves more than her own life. 

Straightning out her skirt, she rang the bell and was blown away as she saw her husband standing in front of her in a dark suit. 

"Kailee." He breathed, sounding surprised. 

She smiled nervously. "Elijah."

"What are you doing here?" He asked, looking at her with wide eyes. "I was expecting other people." 

"Yeah, your brother invited me over for dinner. I heard the Salvatores would come but he said I could come anyway." 

"Of course you can." A deep British voice said behind Elijah. "You're family. Elijah, please let our guest come in." 

She smiled as she passed the man dressed in the suit. "Thanks." 

"Kailee!" Niklaus said with his signature smirk. "You look... ravishing." 

"Niklaus." She breathed, kissing his cheek. "Behave. You know how I think of you." 

"I can say what I think, can't I?" Niklaus said. "Anyway, you know how I think of you as well. To me, you're just my sister. My eyes are on a certain blonde you promised to introduce me to." 

"Right!" She remembered. "I'm sorry, I knew I forgot something. I'll introduce her to you tomorrow." 

"Tomorrow? I like that." He grinned. 

The doorbell rang and Elijah got up from his seat. "I'll get that." 

Kailee smiled before returning to Niklaus. "So, what are you meeting the Salvatore brothers for?" 

"My mother." 

"Salvatore #2 hasn't returned her to you, yet?" She asked, sitting next to him as she did not know what she would do if she would sit next to Elijah closely. "He's really taking long, isn't he?" 

"Too long." Niklaus agreed, standing up as the brothers and his own brother came into the room. "Damon. Stefan. Elijah tells me, you seek an audience. Very bold. Let's discuss the terms of our agreement like civilized men, shall we?"

Kailee shook her head as she looked down. 

"What's silent doing here?" 

"Oh, is she the food." 

"Kailee?" Niklaus asked, looking down at her. 

Kailee, irritated by Stefan, flashed towards him and pushed him up against the wall. "Let's make one thing clear, shall we? I am not to be messed with anymore, okay? I am older and stronger, do not go against me." 

"Not to forget,-" Niklaus said, grabbing their attention. "You are in my house and she is family, you will show some respect." 

"She's like family to you?" Damon Salvatore asked. "Since when?" 

"Since forever." Niklaus said. "I suggest you don't mess with her because she is nearly as old as I am, only differing three years. Just a suggestion." 

Kailee let go of Stefan and sat down next to Niklaus again. Later, they are all eating and drinking except for Stefan. 

Just by the first few minutes, she knew that this night would be long.  

Good thing she prepared for it. 

With the Mikealsons, she always is. 

.

.

.

.