Chapter 16

Life isn't about finding yourself.

Life is about creating yourself.

~George Bernard Shaw~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Niklaus, Kailee and Henrik stayed side by side until Niklaus left their side to talk to Tyler, his first hybrid.

"I want you to look around. There is Bonnie, there is Elena and Matt and there's your pretty little girlfriend Caroline. Epic dance was wrecked tonight and who came through with the party? You did. What a pal. But who are all these other people here?"

Tyler looked around and shook his head when he didn't recognize most of them. "I have no idea. I've never seen half these people in my life."

"That's because I've invited a few dozen friends of my own. That's my friend Mindy...picked her up along the way in Kansas. Did you know that there's an entire bloodline of werewolves in the heartland? That's Tony from North Dakota and let's not forget the Seattle contingent."

"Are those people all hybrids?"

"Well, they also love a good party. And they, like you, were sired by me. They wish to serve their master. So if anyone should so much as make a move against me, they may feel obligated to retaliate. You're free to warn your friends."

Niklaus returned to Kailee and Henrik, looking around and spotting Elena Gilbert.

"Kailee?" Niklaus asked, getting her attention. "Do you think something's off about Elena Gilbert tonight?"

"Yes, I just don't know what. The dress isn't exactly something she'd wear, her hair is- It's Katherine Pierce." She realised.

Henrik's eyes widened. "The Katherine Pierce? If she's Katherine Pierce, where's Elena Gilbert?"

"Off, hiding. Now what would she be doing here?"

"You have a plan." Kailee realised, keeping a close eye on Niklaus. "She's involved."

"Well, she's not involved in my plan but she is part of it." He told them. "You were right, it is far too hard to dagger an Original- definitely Mikeal- how did she do it?"

"She didn't." Henrik said softly.

"Indeed, she didn't. Mikeal is in possession of a weapon that could kill me, he's in town- I don't think I need to make a drawing, do I?"

"They're going to kill you."

"Try to, at least." He looked back at Katherine. "I'm going to make sure my plan goes as it has to."

"Wait-" Kailee stopped him. "Every plan has an element of surprise, what's yours?"

He raised an eyebrow accompanied by a smirk, letting her know exactly what the element of surprise was. His smirk turned into a genuine smile and he disappeared upto where Katherine was.

"Where's your date?" Klaus asked her.

"Getting me a drink." Katherine answered.

He offered her his drink, which she declined. "Well, seems I have you to thank for Mikael's demise."

"He came at me. I didn't have a choice." She told him, making Kailee roll her eyes.

Did she really think they were going to believe that?

"Still I'm impressed. It's not easy for a human to dagger an Original." Klaus stated.

She looked around nervous. "It wasn't the first time."