Chapter 14 o_o

I couldn't confront Josh. I was too scared, and embarrassed, to actually face him. I knew that I needed to apologize and possibly bake him a cake that said "I'm sorry for being such an ass" in blue sparkly icing, but I couldn't bring myself to actually do anything. So I avoided him. But it wasn't just him. I ignored everyone, even Zacky, for three days. I hid in the bathroom the first day, trying to scarf down a salad with my nose plugged, but eventually the repulsive smell hit me and I barely had time to slide onto my knees in front of the toilet before I introduced the gross smelling porcelain to my undigested salad. Needless to say, that was the only day I stayed in the bathroom. The next two days, I spent my lunch period in the nurses office. Miss Zimmerman doesn't seem to mind, she just tells me to fake a cough if anyone walks by so I don't get busted for skipping class.

I feel bad, ignoring everyone, but it almost seems like they're returning the favor. Mikey tries to text me and make sure I'm okay when I skipped the last few classes after the fight, but I don't reply beyond 'I'm fine.' He seems to get the point that I don't want to talk and doesn't send anything back. 

Zacky texts me a few times and even calls once or twice, but I don't want to talk to him either. He waits by my locker each day but I shrug him off easily and tell him I'm in a hurry. He seems to buy it and I remain nearly alone.

I succeed in avoiding everyone until Friday. I come to school at the usual time and make my way to my locker, watching nothing but my own hands, mechanically putting a few books in and pulling my Bio textbook out. I close the metal door and turn to Zacky, about to say something about being late to class, but shut my mouth immediately. He smirks, watching my surprised face, and holds out a small black box. I raise an eyebrow at him. "What's that?" I ask, not making a single move to grab it.

Zacky just holds it out farther and his smile grows a little. "Open it." He prompts.

I hesitate, glancing at the clock and realizing I still have a full three minutes before the late bell rings. I sigh and grab the small box, pulling the top off. Inside is a post-it note, the dull yellow of the paper contrasting against the vibrant red satin of the inside of the box. My eyes skim over the words a few times before I finally have to give up and turn my attention back to Zacky.

"I don't get it," I state. "What is it?"

Zacky leans closer, his lips brushing the lobe of my ear and making me shiver slightly. "It's when you'll get the rest of your present." His tongue snakes out, touching the soft skin of my neck. "Meet me there."

His breath hits my skin and I swallow hard. I'm about to ask more, like why the hell he's giving me a present, but the bell rings before I can force the words to leave my mouth. Zacky smiles once again, an evil glimmer in his beautiful eyes, and winks before he takes off down the hall. I move my gaze back to the small note, grazing over the messy hand-written words. 

7PM.
2509 Northbank Drive.
Back entrance, down the alley.
Second floor, third door on the left. Room B15.
Don't be late.

I shove the note into the pocket of my jeans and hurry toward the Biology room. I need to get to class, I can think about Zacky later. 

Of course, it was just my luck that Mr. Benson remembered his previous threat of making me clean the tarantula's cage the next time I was late to class. So when I slide into my seat a few minutes following the annoying telltale bell, the aging teachers glances up with amusement in his dull eyes. "Frank," He says and I try harder to make myself invisible, keeping my eyes glued to the black table. "I presume you recall my punishment for multiple tardies." I groan internally and let my head drop to the lab table. I imagine Benson grinning, because he's an asshole and he enjoys torturing his students. "Lunch today," He says. "I expect you to report here. Einstein's terrarium is in need of a cleaning."