Price Tags

AN: I LOVE YOU ALL! Within days ended up =a week. Ugh.

I make it to my apartment in a confused state of mind.

'Maybe it's just a coincidence that one of the leading partners has the same last name as Mr. M. Let's not jump to conclusions Phoebe.' I give myself a stern taking to.

Marceles is a common last name, right?

I quickly change into some sweats and grab my laptop before heading straight to my bed.  I immediately seem  to gravitate over to Mr. M's side of my bed because it still smells like him. Oddly enough, it feels warm too but I know I have to be imagining that. He left hours ago.

I look up the company from the packet I was given and end up clicking around some before finally finding the staff pictures. I scroll pretty fast because there's only one face I'm looking for.

'There!' My brain screams and I stop to stare at the man responsible for my inner turmoil. 'Was the scholarship his idea of a gift? Is he trying to buy me? What about my job? There's no way I can be a full time student and have a full time job.' 

Too many questions.! There's only one way to settle this.

The line rings and with each ring my mood gets darker.

"Phoebe?"

"What were you thinking!?" I yell. My shock has fully transformed into anger. 'How dare he!? I didn't ask for this. I am not for sale!'

"That my architect is a mad genius."

My internal rant halts like a train crash.
"What?"

It takes me a minute before I understand that he literally just told me what he was thinking about in that exact moment.

Mr. M has no way of knowing that I want an explanation for my new funds.

"What is the meaning of this scholarship Marceles? I KNOW that you're the one behind this." I make gestures like he's in the same room as me, I might look stupid but there's no helping it.

"You should've been provided with all the information on the scholarship. I also never denied being responsible for my involvement Phoebe." He sounds calm.

"Why didn't you tell me?" For once my anger stays with me like it should. I'm not even sure I've fully registered what he said.

"I wasn't expecting it to happen this fast. I assumed I had a week to warm you up to the idea."

"Warm-? I can accept this! I have a job, granted one that I haven't been to recently, but I am still an employee at the hotel."

"Apparently you've read nothing from the packet, the scholarship covers your living expenses as well as your full tuition costs."

......... My mouth opens but I have no words ready for a response. There's a war happening in me between extreme giddiness and dread. Nothing this wonderful comes without a price.

"Phoebe?"

"........ you ........" I shake my head in utter disbelief that my life has gotten this complicated with one man.

"Before you jump to conclusions Phoebe, know that it wasn't just me who believes that you deserve this. Plenty of my colleagues co-signed off on it as well, some of whom you met this weekend. I knew you'd never take my aid so I got my company to provide the funds."  Now the man sounds smug for his creativity.

"Surely the money could be used for something else. Won't people get mad that you're using company money for personal biases?"

Mr. M laughs like I told him a joke.
"They wouldn't dare! Men here use the company to fund their mistresses, that way their wives won't find out. At least I'm helping your education, the same money would probably be used to buy fake implants and jewelry."

"I can't accept this..." I state weakly. My argument is crumbling and my brain is starting accept the giddiness. I feel a smile starting to form but I can't let it, not yet.

"It's too late. The money has already been set aside, you're fully funded for the rest of your collegiate career. Nothing can stop it." There's a finality in his voice that silences my doubts.

"Nothing?" I ask.

Mr. M has never been a stupid man, I've known this since our very first conversation. The fact that he catches on quick to my thought process is only more proof. 
"You're afraid that I may be able to stop the money whenever I choose." His voice gives nothing away as to how he's feeling about me. I'm sure that he's hurt that I don't trust him but he'll get over it.

"Look, before you out get mad, I just want to say that I don't even know what's going on between us. This scholarship is a lot of money to give even amongst friends, but I sure as hell don't consider you my friend." I shudder at the thought of any woman unfortunate enough to be 'just friends' with Mr. M.
"But on the other hand, we've had various sexual encounters without coining this as an official relationship. I'm fine with how things were going but with this new scholarship added on, I need to know where I stand with you."

I take a deep breath waiting for his reply.

"You should come visit my new office building. It seems as though I might be staying in this state for a while, that is, until this new sector can run on its own." His voice is light and inviting. I hear a woman in the background talking to someone.

It's like I didn't even say a thing, as usual he's going to ignore me. Actually no, I refuse to be ignored.

"Why do you never seem to listen to me? Or even care to respond to most of the things I ask? I literally just want to know where we stand. You could've just told me that it's too much pressure on the spot. Wait no- you shouldn't have funded the rest of my college tuition without knowing SOMETHING. I mean no one goes this kind of thing without thinking about it."

"Phoebe, I don't know why you just can't say 'thank you'." Mr. M huffs.

"For what!?"

"For bothering to help." Mr. M's voice isn't neutral anymore.

"I was fine on my own.! I have my own apartment, a job to support myself, and no college debt. I never asked for you or your damned help to enter into my life!"

"Obviously my efforts were wasted then."  *Click*

"Hello? Hello!?" I look at my phone dumbfounded. He hung up on me!!

Well I won't be the first to cave in, that's for sure.