43. Thousand Miles

AN: Listen to the song.......... Seriously, it's not a suggestion.

Mr. M's POV: ~Couple o' Days before the Wedding~

Left. Right. Left. Right. Turn.

Turn. Turn. Turn. Turn.

The faster I spin the more I can pretend I'm not in my damaged office. The more I can give into sensation instead of thinking.

A knock on my door makes me instantly halt.

The immediate stop makes my head swim but I refuse to show it to her.

"What do you want?" I hiss through clenched teeth. It's taking all my will power not to hold out my arms to keep my balance. Vertigo is a bitch.

"I've been calling you. What type of husband doesn't answer when his wife calls?"

"Ex-wife." I correct while straightening my already straight posture. It never does anyone any favors to be slouching while involved in a sudden gunfight.

It's never escalated to physical damage and yet we always accrue more scars.

She looks comfortable leaning against my door frame. Almost like it's her right to be there. Except she's clearly unaware of my line drawn in the sand, the one that she cannot cross.  She will stay on the outside peering in. We both know that I won't react nicely if she steps into my space, so she's making herself comfortable in my periphery.

She wants me to start this conversation but I refuse. Instead move to adjust my cuff link, only to feel nothing.

Surprised, I look down and notice that I'm in a long sleeve shirt, sweatpants, and sneakers. When was the last time I dressed so casually going to my office?

I'm not naive enough to say never, I have my days like everyone else-but those days are rare.

An eclipse type of rare.

I notice it in the corner of my eye but I don't move to doge the projectile.

Pain is nothing new to me.

I don't even tense up, the object doesn't even weigh a fourth of a pound. I hold it to my chest and look at the soft material.

"I figure that since you've already been in my panties, you might want to keep a pair. It also serves as a great way to get your attention." The mischief in her eyes makes my throat tighten.

Years of getting that exact look creep to the forefront of my mind and I have to fight the nostalgia, it's already gotten me in trouble once.

"What happened was a mistake." I want the elephant out of the room.

"What was? The sex or you screaming her name and not mine?" A silent challenge is handed out. We both know what I regret but we both also know that I feel bad for my outburst.

"I was hurting Nash." I sigh out.

"You still are." She sounds concerned.

"And? It's not your problem." I don't drop my heavy shoulders but I do sit down in my chair. Standing tall is great only in short doses.

Nash takes a step into the room but a quick glare from me has her stepping back.

I'm broken, not stupid.

"Let me in." She quietly begs. Nash could never have anyone hear her sound anything other than authoritative.

I watch her silently. There is no debate in my head, she will never get close to me again.