39. Calamity

AN: I'm so sorry y'all. I've never ended a book-so these last chapters have whooped my ass. I keep retyping to then scrap a chapter, nothing seemed to fit.....until now..... (I sound dorkish.) ANYWAY the current book cover was done by Ironic-Faith.

Mr. M's POV:

How can a beach be so calm yet completely chaotic?

All around me there are kids screaming, dogs barking, and in the distance the waves crashing together blends in with the rest of the noise. It makes one wonder if they'd still like the beach if it was utterly silent. No kids, keep the dogs, and make the waves nearly silent. Would it still have the same calming effect?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Phoebe shifts beside me but I don't open my eyes to see what she's doing. Not yet anyway, I'm enjoying the sun on my face too much. The shades over my closed eyelids can stop me from being blinded, but they can't stop the heat.

Which is fine by me, there's enough of a cool breeze to be comfortable.

All of my senses are alert, except my sense of smell. I find this off because; I can hear just fine, I can feel the particles of sand in between my toes, I can still taste the salt water from our swim earlier, and if I open my eyes- I'll be blinded since I'm laying on my back.

But all I can smell is Phoebe's shea butter lotion. Not my sun tan lotion, not the salt carried in the wind, but my woman's shea butter. Not that I'm necessarily complaining, it's just odd.

Phoebe shifts again but I still won't open my eyes. She was reading a book when I feel asleep earlier, so maybe she's just moving positions to get comfortable again.

"You should get out of the sun soon or you'll get serious sun burn." Phoebe comments. I hear a page turn, my guess wasn't completely off.

"I have on the lotion." I quip, not pretending to be asleep because that would lead to her doing something intimately drastic.

Her laugh rings in my ears and I can feel my body responding to her sirens call. My lips lift themselves without permission but I keep my eyes clamped shut.

"That doesn't mean a damn thing. You can still get it and I'm not going to help you if that happens. Instead I'll laugh and poke at your chest when you're sleeping." Phoebe's tone makes it easy to imagine her with a cheshire grin on her face while admitting to devious acts.

I turn my head and squint open one eye to look at her. The light hurts but I can feel the need to see her now.

Apparently while I was sleeping, Phoebe took down her striped umbrella in order to enjoy the sun like me. Her white lounge chair is exactly like mine but hers is propped up while mine is flat. She's curled up facing me with a dark blue pillow under her head.

"So, you wouldn't want to play nurse with me?" I pretend offense.

Under her dark glasses, I can still see her roll her eyes. Phoebe doesn't answer me as she places her bookmark in the book she was reading. I'm pretty sure she's using the seconds to come up with a good response.

"For us to play nurse, your ailments need to be fake. That way, once we get naughty, your previous ailments won't hinder you from participation." Her smirk has my blood circulating faster which she knows.

Now to be fair, Phoebe can ride me like something serious but we both prefer it when I take charge. Getting severe sun burn would hurt too much so I get her point. Even sexy nurse outfits wouldn't be able to alleviate the pain.

"Why does your mind have to go there? Why couldn't you just rub the ointment into my skin and not go any further?" I nearly laugh at myself but somehow I keep my face bland as I ask my questions. I'm rewarded with more laughter.