Chapter 1

Skinny jeans and a baggy hoodie. I pull the hood up and make my way inside the building. I have to keep up appearances for my dad at these meetings. I pull my hood down and my brown hair falls around my shoulders. I sit next to dad as the Alpha talks. The Alpha doesn't know dad has beat me and basically ignored me since mom died fourteen years ago. I play with the ends of my hoodie strings as dad talks. My wolf stirs as I sit there. I keep my eyes cast down onto the floor. I hear the Alpha dismiss us and I get up and almost make it to the door when I knock into someone.

"I'm so sorry." I mumble. I look up and meet grey eyes and realize im staring at Murphy Ashford. He looks at me stunned and confused. I turn my head slightly and start to move when my wolf whispers to me.

 Mate.

I look away and Murphy grabs my arm and pulls me back. He searches my face and my heart starts beating loudly. I can hear the blood rushing in my ears.

"I Murphy Ashford reject future Beta Adalyn Carter as my mate." 

Gasp are let out by the people around us. I stand frozen on the spot looking for a lifeline. My heart feels like it has been ripped out. I force a smile on my face.

"I Adalyn Carter accept your rejection." I turn on my heel and run. I don't know where i'm going all I know is I can't stay here in the SilverMoon pack. I make it across the border and I feel the link in my mind break from them.

I change and let my wolf take me from this place that has caused me so much pain. I let the thoughts of Murphy and my dad fade. I let the pain of this life fade behind me knowing I will eventually have to face it, but for now running is my best option.

***

I wake up against a tree freezing. I rub my arms and start towards the border of the the nearest pack hoping to find refuge. I make my way to a border and meet the patrol. I shift and hold up my hands.

"I come in peace I seek refuge." I say. My voice cracks and I stare a a dark black wolf.

"Why do you seek refuge?" I turn and look at the man talking to me. 

"I was rejected by my mate. I was. I am the daughter to Luke Carter Beta to the Silver Moon  pack. My name is Adalyn Carter. He treated me as though I was a slave. I am seeking refuge. Please I can't go back. I go back and you are signing my death warrant because I will not go back there alive." I plead. Tears falling down my face. I lift my hand and wipe the tear away and look at the man.

"I am Alpha Aspen Crawford of the Lost Lupus pack. I grant you refuge into my pack." I sigh and fall to my knees. Relief floods my body and I can't help but let out a sob.

"Aiden take her to my house and get Ansley to get her cleaned up so I can talk to her in my office." The black wolf shifts and picks me up and carries me further into the Lost Lupus territory. 

"I'm sorry Adalyn. No one should ever feel what you have had to feel. You are worth love. You will find someone. No one should have to not be without a mate." I look up at Aiden and smile.

"Maybe i'll get a second chance." I say.

"I'd pray that the moon goddess be so kind." He lets me down when we are in front of a giant house.

"This is where Aspen lives?" I question.

"Yeah him me and his sister Ansley. She is my wife as well as my mate." I smile and he looks at me with such pity in his eyes.

"You don't have to pity me I will rise past this. I have to." I say. Aiden walks into the house and is attacked by a pretty blonde girl. I  smile and she turns to me.