Chapter 23

The entire pack land looks like a war torn country. Wolves lay scattered around naked and dead others are huddled together comforting the ones who have lost the people they love. I look around franctically searching for my loved ones. I spin around in circles knowing I must look like a complete idiot.

"Addy!"

I turn around and Aspen is looking at me with so much panic in his eyes. I look at Aspen and run towards him throwing myself at him. I look at him and slam my lips on his. It feels like one of those cliche romance novels and I cant help but smile into the kiss I pull away and look at him.

"I told you I would come back." I say.

"That you did." He laughs slightly and I look around and feel guilty for feeling any sorts of happiness.

I look around once more looking for more people but see no one. I turn and stop. I can feel my body going rigid.

"What is it Addy?" Aspen ask.

"Someone is in the bushes."

I move towards the body Aspen looks at me and I motion for him to come up on the flank. He nods and we close in on the person. When I get close I step on a branch and it snaps the body jerks and a pair of scared blue eyes stare up at me.

"She's just a human." I say. Aspen looks and back at the girl.

"How has no one noticed her presence. She is covered in wolfs bane." I say.

"How can you tell?" Aspen says. I lay a hand on her shoulder and jerk my hand back.

"That's how." Aspen shakes his head.

"What are you!" She yells. She jumps up with a small pocket knife close to her body.

"Careful now." I say. My voice is low enough to let on i'm not plating stupid games.

"I'm not scared of you." She says.

"Very high spirited." I say.

I try to get closer and she lashes out again. I feel the blade make contact with my arm. I look down at the slash on my arm then back at her. She looks at me and drops the knife.

"I'm sorry!" She yells. She drops down in a fetal position on the ground. I look at my arm and watch as it closes back up almost instantly.

"Hey. It's fine I heal." I say. I drop down next to her frightened body trying to come off less threatening.

"How did you get on here?" She looks up and points at the fallen rouges.

"They came through a town about two months ago and took me trying to get their Alpha to cooperate. Well the Alpha refused and they took me with them." She says.

"How do you know so much about our world?" I ask.

"My parents are one of the few that protect the secret." She looks down at her hands.

"How have we not heard of a missing human especially if she is in the family of a protector?" I ask.

"I mean it could have been brought to the attention of the Alpha's in the surrounding area but after a while they usually kill the human they are harboring or turn them so they may have thought it wasn't worth it." Aspen says.

"Well that's bullshit." I say.

"Addy its how things are." Aspen says.

"I'm going to help you up and take you to the house my pack is staying in. I will make sure we get a hold of your parents and the Alpha in the area and let them know you are okay." I stretch out my hand and she takes it.

"You know where I will be." I say to Aspen.

**********

SO.........