Chapter 13

The whole room is quiet when dad and his mate come into the dinning room. She is lovely and her smile seems to brighten up the room. She sits down next to my dad and smiles at him. I cant help but compare her to my mom. The way she looks at dad reminds me of the way mom and dad smiled at each other. I cant help it. I feel my hand being squeezed and I smile at Aspen in a reassuring way. He lets go of my hand and dives in to his food.

"This is really good Anna." My dad smiles.

I take a bite of my mac and cheese and cant help but let out a sigh. All the guys look at me and laugh. They all shake their heads at me.

"Addy loves her some mac and cheese. It is one of her favorites. The first time we had mac and cheese when she came to us she guarded the whole entire bowl for herself." Aiden says.

"I did not." I object.

"Oh please Addy we watched you almost stab Danny with your fork because he got to close to the bowl." Sam says.

"Oh please. This is amazing by the Anna." I smile at her. "My momma would have just adored you." She looks at me and smiles.

"Thank you Adalynn. " She wipes her tears away from her eyes.

"Oh don't cry I mean that in a good way. You are the opposite of what has brought this house so much pain. You are a light that is so welcome." Anna looks at me and cries even more.

I look at everyone and dad is wiping tears away from his eyes as well.  We finish our plates with laughter and stories of childhood and war. I shake my head and watch as dad and Anna smile and make small talk.

I squeeze Aspen's hand and he rubs his thumb over the back of my hand in circles. I feel myself slipping into contentment. The noise around the house makes me feel at home. Makes me feel like nothing ever happened. Like it has always been good and nothing bad ever happened. I take my plate to the kitchen and make my way to the porch. The swing is still tucked away on the far end of the porch.

I hear the front door open and I don't look up I can smell Anna as she walks towards me. She sits down next to me and hands me a bowl of home made vanilla ice cream I smile and dig into it.

"Adalynn I just want you to know that I don't want to take your moms memory from you or make you think that I want to taker her place." Anna's voice shakes as she talks. I look up at her and smile.

"Anna I know that. I want you to know I appreciate you. I have not seen him happy in a long time. I am so happy he found someone to love him and show him there is more to life then slowly dying day by day. I actually like the person that you brought out in my dad." I say. I take another bite of my ice cream.

"I don't know what to say." Anna says. I look at her and notice the tears falling down her face. I set the bowl of ice cream down on the tables next to the swing. I wipe the tears away from her eyes.

"I want to get to know you Anna. I want to get to know the person who has made my dad so happy. I want to know how you took the man who had so much darkness in him and make it light again. Anna you are a miracle, and I think momma sent you to us. I know she did. She had to of because you are an angel and I know the goddess helped send you our way." I say. Tears start to fall from my face. "I also want someone to love me like she did. I feel the void everyday and I feel so dead when I think about how little time I had with my mom. I want a mothers love again." I say.

Anna wipes my tears away and kisses my cheek.

"If you would let me I would love to get to know you. I want to help you fill the void you feel. I want to help you Adalynn." Anna smiles as I look at her.

"I would love that." She reaches across me and hands me my ice cream. She gets up and smiles at me.

"Hey Anna." I call out.

She stops before she opens the front door.

"Call me Addy." I say. She nods and walks into the house. I look at the yard the lightning bugs and smile. I scarf the rest of my ice cream down and run to the door.

"Guys lets catch lightning bugs!" 

*******

THE NEXT CHAPTER IS GOING TO BE SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!