Chapter 49

Harry's POV:

"I'm going to go take a shower." I expect Louis' voice to falter or crack, or anything that will show his emotions, but he acts as if nothing just happened. He pulls away from me.

"Lou-"

"Harry, don't. Not now. Okay?" Even though I have tons of questions - Why did Will's dad beat them? Why didn't Louis tell me before? Why is he shutting down now? - I let him go.

I push those questions down my throat because when you care about someone you begin to want what they want. Maybe he just needs space, and I'll give it to him.

So, very slowly, I nod.

The eggs sizzle loudly in the pan, some juice shooting out of the middle and stinging me on the arm. I wince but keep swishing the eggs around until they're ready to eat.

I stand still and strain my ears for the hundredth time since Louis locked himself in the bathroom. I had knocked and asked why the bath was running, but he had told me that he just wanted a bath. The rest of the hour I've spent cooking, trying to keep my mind off of things.

I call his name once I don't hear anything - not even the swish of water hitting the tile. I get no reply. It's like I'm here by myself.

I turn the stove off and plan on getting him to talk. Something is obviously wrong and he shouldn't feel this way on his birthday. I mentally strangle his mother.

"Louis? Are you okay?" I knock on the door gently, as if it would make him less likely to tell me to go away.

Nothing. My mind is racing with what ifs but I push them away immediately. He's fine.

He has to be.

I find my wallet on the kitchen table and fish out the key to all of the doors in the penthouse. If he won't open the door then I will.

"Louis." I give him one more chance before I barge in.

I don't expect an answer, and I don't get one. I insert the small, silver key and twist it, hearing a slight click as the lock is opened.

Louis' POV:

The warm water has long ago gotten stale and cold. I don't care.

I stretch out in the bathtub, it's big enough to do that. I barely feel the water lap around my cheeks as I sink down into the deep tub. It feels good to be underwater - with sounds and sight numb as bubbles escape out of my mouth.

I'm not trying to drown myself, just...

Escape.

I only come up for breath when I absolutely can't stand the burning in my lungs. I used to be able to hold my breath longer, but I guess that smoking ruined that.

I could go for a smoke right now.

My mind is dizzy with the lack of oxygen I'm receiving by the time I surface above the water again. The room and the person standing in front of me are spinning. I try to mutter a greeting but my words are incoherent.

Harry reaches over the tub and plunges his hands in the water, grabbing my hands and pulling them out. I watch as he observes my wrists.

"You thought I was cutting?" I yank my hands back out of his reach. My knees curl up to my chest. I'm highly aware that I'm naked.

"You didn't answer so I thought the worst," he mutters, no anger in his voice. He called for me? I must have been underwater at the time.

"You don't even own a razor, Harry." His face is clean of any facial hair.