Chapter 84

Louis' POV:

I wake up with drool on my cheek and an empty spot on the bed next to me. After getting to my feet and pulling a pair of boxers on I search the apartment for company, finally declaring myself to be alone.

Throughout my search I come across a notebook on the kitchen table. It's made out of leather, the material worn with use and a few words written in Sharpie.

I run my hand along the spine, wondering if this is what Harry meant when he said that he had something for me. I yawn, noticing that it isn't even bright outside yet. I blame the lack of body heat next to me for waking me up.

There's also a sticky note on the front, reading:

I wanted you to read this, but also wanted to give you time to think. If you don't call then I'll know what your answer is, and if that's what you want then I'll leave you alone. xx

That's it. No "Love H." like I'm used to, no cute jokes or smiley faces. He's deadly serious this time.

I sit down on the table, not the chair, because it's my apartment and there are no rules and I don't feel like sitting on the cold surface of the chair. At least now I can sit on a table mat that's room temperature.

I take a deep breath, preparing for whatever is inside.

And then I untie the ribbon and open the journal to the first page.

Harry's POV:

"He's not going to call," I insist. I take another sip of my drink - not alcohol, grape juice actually - and reach across the board to move my black Checker piece over Beck's red one. It earns a groan out of him as I remove his piece from the board triumphantly.

The game we've started is interrupted by a squeal from the child in his lap. It makes me jump, since I thought that the child was sleeping.

Beck bounces the baby on his knee, making horse noises and reaching behind him to get a toothing toy. He hands it to the young boy - Clarence is his name - and the baby grabs it enthusiastically.

"Can you hand me the box of tissues on the table next to you? He drools like an elderly that lost their dentures." Beck points to the blue Kleenex box to my right as Clarence slobbers all over the toy. I reach over the dozens of baby toys to hand him the tissues.

The building is full of toys, baby clothes draped from nearly every corner. It's not particularly messy, it just looks lived in. There's a diaper bag taking up a spot on the couch, seemingly endless boxes of diapers in the corners of every room.

Mary just laid down to sleep, Beck insisting that he could care for the child while she rests. She's sleeping in the bedroom now.

"Are we going to finish this game or do you surrender?" I tease as Clarence hiccups and begins crying when the toy falls from his hands and to the floor.

Beck begins to curse but eyes the baby and stops right as the "f" sound leaves his lips. A quick check of the diaper has him murmuring the word instead.

"Can you hold him so I can go get a clean diaper?" I make a face as the baby is handed to me without my answer.

"Relax, he just peed." Beck chuckles at my expression and pushes himself to his feet, going to the corner and digging through the boxes of diapers.

Clarence has Beck's dark hair, but his eyes are already darkening to a shade of eye color that is unusual considering his parents. Beck has blue eyes, Mary green, but Clarence's are brown already. The facial features are spot on, though, with Mary's button nose and Beck's full lips.