Chapter 45: Happy Birthday Gohan!

"What on earth is Goku and Gohan doing? They sure are late for dinner." ChiChi pouted as she placed down my bowl on the circular table.

I began eating the large portion of rice immediately. Goten did the same after receiving his large bowl.

"I sure hope they get back soon." ChiChi hoped.

"They may not be back until tomorrow." I tell her.

ChiChi gave me a look. "Why not?"

"Big brother and daddy are taking all the animals that was hurt by those bad men to Dende so that he can heal them." Goten answers his mother with his mouth full of rice.

"Thanks Goten, but please swallow your food first and then talk."  The boy's mother said, taking a seat.

Just like earlier on in the day when I was at the city, I began to think about how we wasn't able to celebrate Gohan's birthday thanks to the crisis that was going on during that time.

"Um ChiChi?"

Goten's mother looked at me. "What is it dear?"

I lowered my eyes to my empty bowl. "You know how Gohan is 15 but basically 16 now that he has spent a year in the time chamber?"

"Yes, what are you trying to say?"

"Don't you ever think that maybe we should try to set up a surprise party for him or something? I mean, it'll be perfect because Gohan will never suspect anything since his birthday was about two or three months ago."

"Hmmm, I don't know Tania." ChiChi responded.

"A surprise party?!" Goten squealed. "Oh boy, oh boy! I wanna have a party! Mom, can we? Can we? I know big brother will be happy if we do."

"Goten..." ChiChi sighs.

I thought of something quick. "Hey, while we're at it, maybe this could be a welcome back party for Goku too. It must've been a bummer being dead for so long... I know your husband will be extremely happy to know we cared enough to give him a break from all the fighting he had to go through and just let him chill and eat all day."

This made ChiChi smile slightly. "I guess that isn't a bad idea. The only problem is... how will we get the money to even throw a party?"

"I'll call up Bulma and ask if we can borrow some cash." I answer.

"Oh goodness no. I don't want to be a burden to the Briefs." ChiChi finished eating and went over to the sink to wash dishes.

Though I was still hungry, I got up and put my bowl in the sink.

"Don't worry about all those dishes ChiChi, I can take care of it tonight."

"Tania, you hardly ate. I know you're still hungry. Eat some more. i'm an independent woman. I can do the dishes." ChiChi refuses my offer.

"No way." I objected. I grabbed her hands and turned them around so we both could see her blistering palms. "I know you're a strong independent woman capable of doing very hard serious work, but sometimes you just got to rest your body. Look at your palms ChiChi, there are blisters all over them. You must've gotten them from carrying big bags of groceries whenever Goku isn't around. Don't push yourself. Listen, lets make a deal."

"What kind of deal?"

I grinned. "How about you take a good month off from doing all the chores and let me do them? Meanwhile, you can just relax and call up some friends of yours and just hang out. It'll make you feel amazing."