Chapter 28

Charlotte Midnight's POV

"WHAT?" I yelled at him as I took a step away. How could my father think it's the right thing to do, he told us he was attacking in 5 days' time, he can't do this! Why would he do this anyway? He knows that I am happy with Ayden; he knows I'm with child, why would he try to take all of this away from me.

"Dad said this is something he needs to do, to protect you, to make sure you are being treated right," Derek informed me as he stepped closer to me.

I put my hands up telling him to move no further, "I'm not leaving with you, Derek. I need to go tell Ayden."

"Dad told me that if you don't leave with me, I'm going to have to take you by force," Derek sneered.

"When have you ever done what dad says? We all know that you hate not being able to become Alpha so you never do anything he says," I retorted. Before Derek could respond to my accusing, I spoke up, "Anyway, did you really think you could walk onto Red Blood territory and just take the Luna? Not to mention she is pregnant!" I exclaimed.

Derek shot forwards and gripped my wrists, making sure I couldn't move anywhere, "Listen," Derek seethed, "I don't want to do this to you, Charlotte. You are my baby sister and I love you but I have to do this to protect you."

"If you take me away from Ayden, you are practically killing me! I can't live without him because I love him! There I finally said it! I love him," I rushed out. It felt like the world had been taken off my shoulders. I haven't confessed it to anyone yet but it's true, I love him. I just need to say it to him next time.

Derek looked confused for a moment but shrugged it off, "I'm not taking no for an answer, we need to leave. Now, Charlotte."

"Tell dad to fuck off! I'm not leaving, in fact, I will be fighting against you and dad, to save my own pack," I argued.

"You're a traitor, Charlotte," Derek tutted, looking at me with disgust.

"I am not a traitor!" I yelled at Derek, "I am the Luna of this pack and I will act like one, if I were a traitor, I would leave with you," I spat in disgust.

"Charlotte-" Derek growled but was cut off by an innocent giggle. As soon as Derek heard that someone else was in the area he dropped my wrists and I immediately stepped away from him.

"Charlie! Charlie!" The innocent voice flowed. I just knew be the sound of the voice that it was Mackenzie.

"Mackenzie!" I exclaimed with joy as she ran up to me and jumped in my open arms. I picked her up and spun her in a circle before settling on my hip.

"What are you doing out here, Charlie?" Mackenzie inquired softly, "and who is this?"

"This is my brother, Derek. He and I were just having a chat but we finished now. I was actually about to get breakfast at the pack house since I forgot to eat some this morning, would you like to join me, Mackenzie?" I asked her in the softest voice I could muster at this point in time. I was still angry at Derek, but I couldn't show it in front of little Mackenzie.

"Do you want to join us for breakfast, Derek?" Mackenzie asked sweetly.

I almost laughed at how cute and unknowledgeable she is. Any grown wolf would be able to tell that there was awkwardness and tension between Derek and I, "I don't think Derek can. Sorry Mackenzie, maybe another time," I told Mackenzie.

"Charlotte," Derek growled making Mackenzie jump within my arms, "We need to leave."

I shook my head and walked away with Mackenzie still in my arms. I thought that Derek would make me come back with him but to my surprise he didn't, all he did was yell at me from a distance, "I'm only trying to protect you from the monster that harms you."

I didn't realise I was crying until Mackenzie pointed it out and wiped away my tear. She didn't say anything about it, which I thought was very wise for a six year old girl, especially since what she asked earlier.

It pained me even more that my own brother would try to take me away from my mate and say those things about my mate. He doesn't know anything about us.

As soon as the pack house came into view I was immediately confused. Normally there are always children and mothers playing or sitting in the front garden, but there was nobody here. I thought it might be because of the attack, but how would they know about it? Even if they did know about it, I still needed to find Ayden; I had so much to tell him. Especially my love for him.

I walked into the pack house and it was like a ghost town. There was not a single person in sight. After standing around for a couple of seconds, a younger fighter ran into the room, looking ready to fight.

"Oh- Luna?" The fighter looked confused, "what-what are you doing here? You are supposed to be in the safe house with the other women and children." This only confirmed my thoughts about them already knowing about the early attack.

"No, no, I need to speak to Ayden," I told the fighter, "Do you know where he is?"

"He is near the border of Red Blood and Midnight Moon, the attack was announced early, a fight has already broken out, Luna. I need to get you to the Safe house, Alpha wants to protect you," the fighter informed me as he tried to lead me towards the safe house.

"Take her," I told him as I handed Mackenzie into his arms. This action took him by shock which gave me enough time to flee from the house. I ignored the shouts from the fighter as I ran as fast as I could on my injured foot. It was feeling better but still stung every now and then.

As I got closer and closer to where I assumed the battle field was, I heard ferocious growls and ripping skin. I have only heard the sound of battle four times before, because when I was younger, my father wouldn't let me leave the safe house.

I slowly crept further towards the attack, trying not to draw any attention. Suddenly, without any warning, a giant grey wolf stalked out of the bushes near me, eyeing me up like I was a poor, helpless foal.

I gently staggered backwards, trying not to create any sudden movements. The wolf looked up and took a large whiff of the air, before its eyes settled back on me. I knew the wolf was not a part of my pack but my father's pack, so if the wolf attacked, it would kill me. As if the wolf could not attack me or had orders not to, it turned around and walked in the direction of the attacking wolves.

After staring of into the distance for a couple of minutes, I continued my walk towards the attack, in the same direction the grey wolf went in. Within ten seconds of my walk, a familiar brown wolf jumped out in front of me. Almost as soon as the wolf landed, it shifted into its human, naked form.

Austin.

"Charlie, what are you doing here?" Austin questioned as he looked around, watching for any wolves that might attack.

"I need Ayden," I told Austin.

"Don't you think he is busy right now, Charlie?" Austin asked,

"Well-" I began but Austin cut me off.

"And besides, you don't need someone that hits you!" Austin exclaimed but then quickly covered his mouth as if he was a saint committing a sin, "I wasn't meant to tell you that, Charlie. It wasn't for me to tell--" Austin started but I cut him off with a muffled scream as I threw my head into my hands and collapsed to the ground.

My head started pounding as memories poured into my head. Everything from when I was just learning to speak, to my first boyfriend, to when I first shifted into my wolf, when I met Ayden and to when Ayden locked me in a prison cell.

My heart began to ache as my head began to burn. My cheek started to sting as I remembered the horrifying truth.

Ayden hit me in the face and refused to tell me about it.

A/N

please remember to vote and comment.