13. Schemes

{Mount Coronet}

Whilst everybody else was enjoying themselves in different environments, like the lush greenery May was in, I was completely tired

Whilst everybody else was enjoying themselves in different environments, like the lush greenery May was in, I was completely tired. My calves and feet were aching as we hiked around a mountain area; the steep climb having tarnished my sneakers.

"What Pokémon do you want?" I asked Paul, eyeing him warily.

It was honestly just the two of us on this lonely mountain, with a few other odd people spotted in the distance; nobody was as high up as us, though.

"Magby." He muttered glared at me, "Why are you still wearing my jacket? I like that one."

I smiled innocently, "It's my favourite too."

If you asked me, it looked better on my body than on Paul's, though it was a close call.

"Tch. Troublesome." He mumbled.

I rolled my eyes, "How much further are we going?"

"In case your dumb self hadn't realosed, you need to catch a Pokémon too! I'm only looking for a good spot."

"There are three Magby over there." I pointed to a particularly rocky spot a few feet away from us.

"I'm not taking advice from you." He hissed.

I crossed my arms stubbornly. "Are you still annoyed about Saturday? We're on a field trip, can't you be a little happy?"

He shot me a menacing look, "You're a ditz."

I rolled my eyes, "I sincerely apologised! What else do you want me to do, travel to the past?"

"Stop wasting my time."

It was an accident.

Two days ago, on Saturday, I had been practising Contest Combinations at May's place. Paul, on the other hand, was waiting outside my house for our chemistry project.

"Can you do one thing right? Go and wait for me to catch this Pokémon." He pointed to a boulder area that looked unsettling, given the various open cracks built into the walls of the mountain.

Scowling, I sat on a large stone beside a big hole, then released Stranger from his Pokéball, "We're done moving for now."

Stranger chuckled, "He's still angry. I can sense it."

"Yeah, an even worse Paul." I wrinkled my nose. "Anyway, if any Pokémon catch your eye, let me know."

There were a few Nummel, Magby and other pre-evolved fire and rock types. None that were of interest for the combinations I was planning.

A sudden voice from behind me made me freeze, "Oreburgh mines, got it?"

A chorus of voices murmured in agreement and another female voice shrilled out, "We're operating at the stroke of midnight. Saturn and I will take the fossils and that old man. Jupiter will be waiting in the mines, where you'll meet her. She'll give you further instructions from there, got it?"