26. Mayhem

{Room 203 | Sandgem High School}

"Now, a reminder that in a few weeks exams will be coming up

"Now, a reminder that in a few weeks exams will be coming up. There's still lots of hustle about competitions, but don't forget to focus on your subjects." Riley told us as we all got ready to leave.

I looked back at Paul, catching his eye with a smile; he'd beaten Gary and was advancing to the semi-finals. I couldn't wait to watch the next set of battles.

"Does anyone hear that?" Zoey suddenly interrupted, just as we prepared to leave.

The rest of us became quiet, and sure enough, the sound of sirens became louder as I felt Stranger emerge beside me protectively.

I could feel my aura pulse through my body, and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. I felt threatened and unsettled.

"What's going on?" Someone gasped as the sound of shattering glass was heard, and Riley sprung into action.

He pulled out his Poké Ball and released Lucario, "See anything?"

Riley picked up the message from his partner and looked at us, "Class, stay here, under no circumstances do you move!"

His tone was enough to make us sit back in our seats. "Gary and Zoey, I want you to guard the class with your partners."

As the two of them walked to the entrance of the room, they released Glameow and Umbreon.

Riley turned to beckon Paul and I. "I need you to follow me."

Without hesitating, the both of us ran after him, exchanging a worried glance.

"Riley?" I asked in fright, "What's happening?"

"There are intruders in the school. Lucario has gone to pass the message on to some of the admin. They can manage the three floors, there are infiltrators scattered everywhere. I'm worried about the ground floor specifically."

"Isn't that where the substitute Pokémon and Pokédex prototypes are kept? As well as Professor Rowan's research office?" Paul asked as we ran down the second flight of stairs.

"Exactly. Staff on the ground floor will need some help, there's a large foreboding presence here. I'm going to try finding the culprit. I need the two of you to guard the entrance of the building; security is down."

As we halted at the bottom of the stairs, I felt my heart beat in panic, "We won't let anyone in."

"Or out." Paul added.