17. vs Ursula

{Twinleaf Town | Dawn's Home}

After putting my poffin case into my backpack, I slipped it on and sat on a stool in the kitchen, my legs shaking nervously

After putting my poffin case into my backpack, I slipped it on and sat on a stool in the kitchen, my legs shaking nervously. Drew said that he and May would be picking me up, so I was just waiting on them now.

"You're up on a Saturday this early?" Mum walked through the room holding a mug of coffee, a curious expression on her face.

"Yeah, I've got to go to school." I smiled anxiously.

"Last night there was someone here." She suggestively smiled and I bit my lip.

"It wasn't like that Mum!"

"I know, I know, Dawn."

"Paul and I were just doing some browsing in the evening."

If that substitutes for our investigation.

"It was sweet of him to put you to bed," she noted and I blushed, "I thanked him before he left."

Quickly changing the subject, I walked up to Mum and held her hands eagerly, "Today, I'm battling against seven other freshman to get into one of the spots for the Veilstone Contest."

The last time my mum had watched me participate in a battle, I had been terribly overconfident. Zoey completely controlled the battle, and I was mortified.

"Mum," I looked her in the eyes determinedly, "if I get into this Contest, will you come to watch me?"

She nodded slowly and then smiled, "Wow, an official contest? That might be your first of many. "

I grinned excitedly, "You promise?"

She laughed, "We need to spend some more time together, yes darling I do."

I hugged her as a car horn beeped outside the house, then waved goodbye, "Wish me luck!"

~~•~•~~

{G06 - Hall | Sandgem High School}

After watching Drew and Zoey have a heated battle that awestruck us all, I was pumped. Drew had narrowly won. May, on the other hand, had easily won against Kenny; her Wurmple was now a Silcoon and had handy defence.

Now, it was my turn and as I took to the battle field, my heart pumped in anticipation. I had prepared my Poké Balls and was ready to release my partners.

Ursula stood opposite me, a confident smirk in her eyes.

"Minun! Plusle! Go!" She released her Pokémon as massive stars shot over them, bursting over the pair brightly.

"Stranger, Charmander. Spotlight!" I called out, black ribbons unwinded around the two of them.

"Fantastic openings." Fantina applauded the both of us.