22. New Rivals

{Veilstone Contest Hall | Backstage}

Drew was before me, and I sat nervously in the waiting room, watching as he battled a man named Prio

Charmander was in his Pokè Ball and Lucario was beside me.

"Calm down Dawn."

I sighed, "Solidad has Slowbro, Lapras, Pidgeot, and Butterfree. I have a feeling she'll use her flying types."

"Charmander's Fire Burst is a good option then."

"You're right, thanks Stranger." I nodded.

"Number three, take this entrance!" A stage director called out.

Lucario disappeared, but I felt his presence beside me as I walked to the entrance. On the director's cue, I ran through the narrow hall, passing Drew, who was walking back.

"Easy win." He flipped his hair.

"Nice going, Grasshole." I high-fived him.

"Good luck." He called back.

I heard Marian call my name, then walked back into the open court. "Dawn's amazed us with a fresh new style, let's check out her telepathic battling!"

Solidad had been introduced before me as she'd ranked higher. She stood opposite me with a glare, and I remember the disgusting stunt her and Ursula had pulled.

I am not losing to a bully.

"Five minutes on the clock. Go!"

"Pidgeot, Butterfree, I choose you!"

I knew it!

The two Pokémon appeared in a frenzy of glittery confetti, shining in the air.

"Lucario, Charmander. Spotlight!"

This time, Lucario jumped magnificently as he released Charmander, who had black confetti over him. After landing on Stranger, the two of them bowed, standing for battle.

"Gust, Poison Powder!"

"Make a barrier."

The two moves combined to a purple misty wind, but failed to damage us. I sighed, noticing that I'd still lost points due to her appeal.

"Charmander, we need a huge Fire Spin!"

"Hold him up Stranger."

My pulse was racing as Lucario jumped into the air, and Charmander released a cascading fire; it soared through the air and hit both the opponents.

"She's combining their height to compensate for not being in the air!" Marian narrated.

A chunk of Solidad's points disappeared, and I smiled.