18. Revenge

{Room G02 | Sandgem High School}

The last couple of days had been hell, I mean I'd rather go down there to meet Heatran

I had been going to school an hour early every day with the other students who were participating in the contest. It was myself, Drew, Solidad, Nando, a really nice guy, and two other Seniors I didn't know.

The contest was next Friday and the school had booked us accommodation in Veilstone, where we would arrive on Thursday morning. I knew that May was ditching school on Friday to watch us perform; Gary and Leaf were too, but I think they cared more about skipping school.

Today, Fantina had given Drew and I Contest Passes and Ribbon Cases. She had mentored us on the importance of an entrance, especially the choice of seals. Staring at the empty velvet interior of my case had urged me to quickly fill it up; I wanted to win.

I felt drained as I walked into the Club room, what with the training, early mornings and work.

"Dawn!" Brock greeted me as I sat down beside Leaf, "How many Pokémon have you registered?"

I rummaged for my Dex and then scanned the device, "Seventy-three for the Regional."

"Good." Brock grinned, "I'm sure you'll see more with the contest."

"I can't believe Gary has the most." Ash grumbled.

"How many?"

"One hundred and twelve." Misty replied glumly.

"He cheated." Leaf snorted, "Just imagine him going to his Grandad's lab and registering every Pokémon there."

We moaned at Gary as Paul, Drew and May entered, all of them looking annoyed.

"What's up?" Brock asked curioisly.

"Minus Paul, he always looks pissed off." Gary chuckled.

Paul...

Last weekend had undug my feelings, but I was pushing them away. Recently, whenever we were talking and I felt the tension grow, I would move away to avoid him.

It was the only thing I could do.

"Word of advice!" May announced, "Candice is going to make you act out Romeo and Juliet in Drama."

"Is that a surprise? Remember how she was for Christmas?" Gary muttered, and we winced at the bright lights.

"It's a gender bender version." Drew added.

May jumped onto my beanbag and I slid off in shock before sharing it with her, "Do you know how weird it is to tell Paul his smile is like a sun?"

I burst into laughter as did Ash and Gary.