20. Evolutions

{Twinleaf Town | Dawn's Home}

I had taken the day off from school and work to pack for my three-day stay at Veilstone

I had taken the day off from school and work to pack for my three-day stay at Veilstone. After my conversation with Paul, I decided to ignore the unsettling nerves. I knew that my Pokémon were looking healthy and their appeal round performance was perfected.

Char was taking a nap whilst I shut my small suitcase and Stranger was bouncing up and down.

"You're really happy huh?"

He smiled, "I can't wait."

"You aren't nervous?"

"I feel like we could win!"

I laughed at his contagious energy "That's great!"

Just then, the doorbell rang, and I headed down to open it with Stranger in my arms. He was getting bigger and heavier, I had to sadly admit.

"Paul?" I asked in surprise as his uniformed figure stood outside the door.

"Troublesome." He passed me a handout, "Riley said to give this to you from homeroom."

"Thanks," I looked down at it, then placed it on the table, "hungry?"

"Nah," He shook his head and then met my eyes, "ready for tomorrow?"

I nodded and grinned, "Mum and I are leaving tonight, tomorrow morning we'll arrive early and get a chance to look at the venue."

"When does it start?"

"Evening," I answered, "but the journey from here to Veilstone's pretty long, you would know."

"That's why May, Leaf and Gary are ditching school to watch?" Paul asked.

I nodded, then a bold idea came to mind. "You should come too."

I didn't think he would support me, but it would be nice to see his face.

He snorted, "I'll pass."

"Seriously?" I whined, "You have the wrong idea about Coordinators."

"I'll go to your Contest on one condition."

"What?"

"Impress me in a battle, nobody's beaten me yet from school."

"That makes two of us." I smiled, looking at Stranger, who seemed serious.

"Lets do it outside."

"Hold on, can it be a one-on-one?" I asked as I slipped on my shoes, "Char's sleeping and he needs the rest."

"Fine." Paul shrugged as we walked outside.

I closed thr door behind me and followed Paul to the plain grass around Lake Verity.