Chapter one

( Perspective of Lucas )

"Lucas, get your head out of the clouds and get back to work!"

My supervisor, Steve, shouted at me, and I realized that I had been daydreaming.

I looked up and smirked at the angry expression on his face and saw as he got even more visibly upset. I gave him an over exaggerated thumbs up, and he just shook his head and walked away to mess with someone else.

Looking to my right, I saw as my friend, Josh, gave me a concerned look.

"What," I asked him.

"You've been out of it like this for a while now, should I be concerned?"

"No, I'm fine."

Josh is a tall, pale guy with jet black hair and green eyes, not really my type.

He didn't pry and just nodded, putting his focus back on his work. I like Josh because he isn't nosey like everyone else; he gets me and doesn't ask too much about my personal life, unless I'm willing to talk about it. Josh has been my friend ever since high school, and even though we went to different colleges, we managed to stay in touch; we were lucky enough to get the same job. Now we could see each other more often.

We both work as mechanical assemblers and you can say that we get paid well. We have to work about ten hours a day, which isn't that bad when you think about it. Yea, we sometimes have to stay longer for certain projects and whatnot, but it's not a problem for me. Josh and I worked right beside each other on the assembly line, so I wasn't ever bored; he keeps me entertained with his foolishness.

...

When it was time to close down shop, it was around 4:00 in the afternoon. I planned on going home to take a shower and then going out to a bar, but Josh insisted otherwise. We walked towards our cars in the parking lot and he was right by my side as always.

"I know you're gay, but it's not like I'm asking you out or anything... I know you don't like me like that dude. I just want to spend bro time with you," Josh protested.

I sighed.

I told Josh that I was gay not too long ago, and he thinks that I don't ever want to go out anywhere with him, because he thinks that I don't want him to assume that I have a thing for him, when I don't.

"It has nothing to do with that. I just want to be alone tonight."

He seemed a little disappointed by me not wanting to go out with him, dating excluded.

"It's fine then," he mumbled.

My heart broke a little when he spoke in such a low, defeated way. I hate when he does that.

"Alright, I'll go."

His face lit up with joy as he stepped into his car.

"Great, I'll pick you up around seven; we're going to that restaurant that my sister's been talking about."

"Alright man."

He smiled and shut his door.

I walked over to my car and stepped inside. My car is a black 1969 Ford Mustang; I've had my baby for years and it's always worked well. Josh talks about it all the time, saying that he'd kill for a car like this. I don't take him seriously, but the more that he talks about it, the more I'm thinking that he's plotting to kill me.

...

I drove home after stopping by a burger joint and parked into my drive way. I stepped out and gazed at my house.

Even though I make enough to have a big house, I'm more of a "I don't waste money on things that I don't need" type of guy. Of course that doesn't apply to food; I don't need three hamburgers for dinner, but here we are.

I held the bag of burgers close and I walked to my one story brick house. I walked into my house and was greeted with small barks and growls. My two small Teacup Yorkies came at me, jumping at my ankles and following me as I went into my kitchen.

"Alright boys, I'll get you some food."

I walked over to my pantry and got some food for them and I warmed up my burgers. They both stopped eating and stared at me as I sat down with the burgers on a plate.

"What? Oh, you guys know this is mine. You can't have... hey!"

The youngest one, diamond, jumped on the couch and started nibbling at one of my burgers.

"Diamond, get your ass away from my food."

When I said "food" for like the third time, I remembered that Josh and I were supposed to be going to a restaurant.

I reluctantly got up to put my burgers in the refrigerator; however, I ate the one that I had in my hands at the time.

One hamburger won't ruin my beast appetite.

I wonder what restaurant he was talking about anyway.

I don't really do restaurants; I'd rather... eat three hamburgers and call it a day. But Josh is sensitive; he'll be upset with me if I end up flaking on him. He's is the cutest thing when he's upset, but I'd never say that to his face. And like I said before, I'm not into him.

I went to take a shower and enjoyed the sensation of the hot water washing all of today's work off, replenishing my skin.

I stepped out of the shower and dressed myself in a black leather jacket with a plain dark red t-shirt underneath, which were accompanied with blue jeans and black boots.

I never try to impress anyone with my looks, and I don't care about what other people think of me, Josh being an exception.

He's like a golden child, always doing right. I admire him for that and I respect his opinion, unlike everyone else. I was strangely starting to look forward to tonight and I didn't care. I haven't went out with my friend in a while; it's going to be nice.