Chapter twenty three

( Perspective of Lucas )

The next day, during my break, I was called by an unknown number.

"Aren't you going to answer it," Josh asked as he stared at me with concern.

I answered it, but I made my voice high pitched and gave myself an accent.

"Ello?"

Josh started laughing.

"Is this Lucas?"

I recognized the voice, and I remembered that it belonged to Liam, John's friend, so I changed my voice so that it was normal.

"Yea."

"Well... John got into a altercation last night, and he's pretty banged up. He wanted me to call you and have you come to the hospital."

My heart dropped into my stomach as I stood.

"An altercation?"

"I'll explain it all when you get here."

"Alright."

He hung up and I glanced back at Josh as he raised his eyebrow.

"I... have to go."

"Where?"

"Hospital."

"Why?"

"Just come with me."

"Uh, Okay."
...

As I drove us to the hospital, I was worried. I mean, Liam sounded calm over the phone, and he said that John wanted me to come.

If it was bad, then John wouldn't even be able to get someone to call me... right?

I tried to calm myself down as I drove.

I've been on a dozen dates with John, and I've fallen for him. Knowing that he was in danger, and that I wasn't there to stop it, really upsets me.

But I couldn't have known right?

I gripped the stirring wheel, thinking about what I would do to whoever hurt him. He's my munchkin... no one touches him.

"Are you alright," Josh asked.

I realized that I was speeding and stepped off of the gas.

"I'm fine."

"Is... who was on the phone earlier?"

I couldn't get mad at Josh for being curious, but I couldn't focus enough to even formulate words.

"It's..."

"Lucas, do you want me to drive?"

"No... it's okay."

He placed his hand on my shoulder, and I started to calm down just a tad.

"Slow down, take a breath. Stay calm."

He squeezed my shoulder, and I started to exhale all of the breath that I was holding in.

"Don't crash."

"Why would I cras..."

I barely missed a car parked on the side of the road.

"Ya know, you're really out of it. Is John the one in the hospital? Did something happen to him?"

"Yea."

He made an "O" with his mouth and sat back in his seat.
...

When we arrived at the hospital, I parked and tripped trying to get out of my car. I could hear Josh snickering and I flipped him off as I ran.