Chapter three

( Perspective of Lucas )

We sat in silence for the majority of the ride home, and I was enjoying the peaceful silence.

"Lucas."

Never mind.

"Yea?"

"You ready for work tomorrow?"

"Not really."

"Not looking forward to it huh?"

"No."

"Well, when you have to do something you're not looking forward to, just think about what makes you happy to go."

"Like what?"

"I'll be there."

"Is that supposed to make me happy?"

"Yea..."

He seemed defeated. I hated hurting his feelings, but he often sets himself up to be hurt when we talk.

"Did I hurt your feelings?"

"No... you didn't."

"I did... I'm sorry Josh."

"It's fine."

"No it's not... your voice is telling me one thing, but your body language is yelling at me to make you feel better."

"It's fine Luke, really."

There was silence.

"Josh, I know you don't want to hear this, but you have to get a thicker skin. You're always so sensitive. You know I'd never intentionally try and bash you or anything right?"

"Yea."

"I don't usually express my feelings with you, but I love you man... I don't want you to think I don't care about you. You just have to get tougher... not everyone is going to be as kind and loving as me."

"Kind? Loving?"

"Yea, did I stutter?"

He laughed and I smiled in response.

"I appreciate what you said though, and I understand."

"And?"

He sighed.

"And I love you too."

"Damn right."

He laughed again, and I felt better seeing him happy. Josh has always been like that, so kind and sweet to everyone, but at the same time, so fragile and scared of being rejected in any way. He's such a little angel, pure and innocent; I love having him around.

His father wasn't in his life growing up, so when we met, I kind of became like an older brother to him. I'd go to great distances to please and protect him, but I guess I just have to back off a little.
...

He pulled into my driveway and sighed, sitting back in his seat. He glanced over at me and smiled.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye little bro."

"Bye man."

I stood by my door and watched as he pulled out and drove down the road. I walked in and my dogs came running around my ankles like before.

"Hey babies."
...

I checked my phone as I turned on my shower and I saw a text from my mom.

"Hey, haven't heard from you in a while, hope all is well."