seventeen

niall had called and told zayn and harry that they would have their usual sleepover on saturday instead, and both boys agreed happily.

harry was planning on telling his two friends what gemma had told him to do.

although it hurt, it hurt so bad, he had to do it.

"i totally agree. he deserves to be treated like crap for once," niall scoffed, and harry, although upset, let his friend say that.

but zayn didn't. "niall, he treats himself like crap everyday. i don't like this. have you seen his wrists?"

harry couldn't help but hold his breath and bite his tongue, because thinking of the way that louis had pushed on the cuts on his wrists and grimaced in pain would always be too much for him.

"harry are you okay?" it was niall, climbing off of his bed and going to the floor where harry was sitting criss cross in a big red t-shirt and baggy grey sweatpants.

harry just shrugged, squeezing his eyes shut so the tears wouldn't fall past onto his pale cheeks.

"you don't have to do this, actually i'd prefer if you didn't. louis doesn't like being ignored."

and the three sat in silence, consumed by their own thoughts. well, harry just watched his friends.

they didn't seem to notice as he lifted his head and gauged each of their reactions before standing up, pulling his t-shirt farther down so that it was hanging past his knees.

and then he quietly walked out of niall's room and into the hallway, the cool, quiet hallway where he could finally hear his own thoughts. and he shut the door behind him, a tiny click.

"i didn't know you were here."

harry closed his eyes, just listening to the way louis' voice ended in a whispery tone, to how his footsteps sounded so small on the white carpet.

and he didn't respond. because that's what gemma said. ignore him until he realizes what he's been missing.

"harry?" louis said quietly, and harry opened his eyes to look at louis. he was dressed in a soft sweatshirt with soft sweatpants and soft socks and he looked so soft that it hurt. he even had these glasses that were sitting upon his nose, and he looked so perfect.

but harry just bit his tongue, although for once he wanted to speak.

only louis made him want to speak.

so he just slid down the back of niall's door, feeling his eyelashes flutter against his skin as he struggled to close them.

maybe, if he couldn't see louis, it wouldn't hurt as bad.

but it was hard not to look when there was a soft, beautiful person standing close to you.

and when he finally had sat down and pulled the red shirt over his knees and rested his head against the door, focusing on his breaths instead of louis, the older boy finally spoke.

"harry, angel, stop that."

angel.

angel angel angel angel.

harry bit his lip, images of louis' wrists and his bright blue eyes flickering through his mind like a movie, a bittersweet movie.

and louis seemed surprise that he said that as well. he whispered it again to himself, a pretty sound that caused a tremor in harry's heart.

"angel," he whispered, raising his voice a little bit, and harry listened to the creak of the floor as he walked closer. "my angel."

harry opened his green eyes, and he could hear zayn and niall speaking through the door but it was too muffled for him to hear anything. so he just looked at louis, who was now standing over him, and it was weird because louis was usually shorter than him and now he could see how beautiful louis' eyelashes really were and the way his sweatpants were really tight around his thighs and how small his feet were.