sixty three

"why are you in here?"

harry eyes fluttered open at the hushed voice that came from behind him. he was wrapped in blankets, facing the window with an oxygen mask placed over his lips. he didn't like to sleep without it on because he would be constantly waking up when he needed to cough, to clear the fluid out of his healing collapsed lung.

he didn't move when he heard his mum's voice respond back to louis'.

"because harry is my son, and he's hurt." anne said, obviously offended. "i have more of a right to be here than you."

harry bit his lip to keep from speaking. anne was wrong, so wrong, and he wanted to defend louis and telling him that yes, he had the most right to be here out of anyone.

"i may not deserve harry, but i sure deserve him more than you. and keep your voice down, i don't want harry to wake up and miss some of the rest he needs, unlike you," louis huffed. harry could practically see him crossing his arms, giving his signature glare. harry moved his head a little on his pillow, and louis immediately came over to sit down next to him.

"really, why are you here?" louis asked, sitting on the bed and gently running his hand up harry's back before caressing his curls softly. "anne, honestly. do you know how much you hurt him? and me? i trusted you, i always thought you were so cool and accepting, when really, you leave when things get hard." his voice was low and angry, but his fingers were lightly squeezing harry's shoulder before he rested his hand in harry's curls. harry hoped louis wouldn't notice the goosebumps that went up and down his arms and the shiver that lightly shook his body. no, he wanted to hear what his mother really had to say.

"i care about harry, so much it hurts and i feel so bad-"

"anne, i don't want to yell, because i don't want to wake up harry, but you can't just freaking come back here like saying sorry is going to fix everything. guess what? it's not. it took me so long to get harry to trust me again, and even then i still don't deserve him. but at least i didn't sit around while he was getting abused."

it was quiet for a moment, the only noise the three people's breathing and the whir of the heater. hannah had come in and turned off the television, harry assumed. he had his eyes closed, and he wanted so badly to open them but decided that he could wait.

"you sat around." anne said. "you sat around while he was getting abused."

the bed lifted as louis stood up. harry knew he was mad, he recognized his heavy breathing. "don't say that. i didn't sit around, anne."

"you left harry when he was abusing himself, louis. do you think i didn't see his wrists, or the razors he left on the sink because he's too oblivious and never knows how to keep things secret? he can't hide things from me, he's an open book that can't read, louis. i could see how torn apart he was when you left him, i can read him clearly. but he takes everything literally and can't read people for the life of him! so i know, i know that what you did was just as bad as what i did, because i can tell. you ruined him. you ruined my son." 

harry was already shaking with every word that escaped him mother's mouths, and he flinched when he heard a crash. 

"don't you dare say that again," louis snapped, the anger in his voice growing with every second.

"he doesn't interact with anybody anymore. he just stares at things stupidly because he doesn't know how to be in love without being absolutely ridiculous. and i know he wasn't good at that before but now you've completely ruined him."

harry let out a choked sob, curling in on himself and biting on his knuckles to stay quiet. he pulled his knees up to his chest, shaking more and more with the blows his mum was giving him. yeah, it freaking hurt when his friends said that. but for his mum to call him stupid, ridiculous, ruined?