fifty seven

“harry?” louis asked shakily, taking a step back from the taller boy, his eyes flickering between stan and harry. harry whipped around to look at stan, and he was smirking, his dark eyes calm as he stared back at louis.

“that’s why he locked the door.”

harry felt his heart pounding. “i didn’t lock the door, louis. stan did.” he was saying the truth. as long as he was honest, it would be okay. he just wished that all this bad stuff wouldn’t be happening on louis’ birthday.

louis stepped back once more, his lips quivering as he struggled to maintain eye contact with harry, who was looking at the ground and the sky and everything but the beautiful boy standing in front of him. the wind was blowing his curls into his face, and he cringed whenever he felt the wet snow stick to his cheeks and hair. the only light was from stan’s car and the rainbow colours in harry’s hair.

“did you kiss stan, harry?”

harry, honestly, did not know the answer the question. was louis asking him if he initated it? because the answer to that question would be no. but if he was asking if their lips touched, if they actually did kiss, then that answer was yes, sadly.

he decided it was the latter, as he knew louis didn’t like to get into specifics and he didn’t want louis to misunderstand.

“yeah, we kissed,” harry whispered, flinching when louis grabbed the back of his neck, turning around and kicking his foot into the tire of a nearby car. “louis,” harry said quietly.

louis ignored him, yelling a string of curse words into the air before turning back to stan. “why did you kiss him, stan?” he asked, his voice eerily calm and his blue eyes darkened to a deep, cold colour. “do you honestly think he knows what he’s doing? do you know how freaking fragile this boy is?” his anger and volume grew with every word, with every step closer he came to stan.

stan maintained his composure, although harry could see him shivering because of the cold wind blowing into his car. harry didn’t know what was going on, but he did know that he did not like the tone that louis was using, and he didn’t like the way that louis was talking about him.

“louis, i’m not fragile,” harry furrowed his brows, hugging his arms around himself and biting his lip. “how could you say that?”

stan interjected. “you know, lou, i can punch him to see how fragile he really is. then you guys don’t have to argue about it.”

louis looked like he was trying so, so hard to keep his calm, but harry knew just as well as the boy himself that after a while, some medicine wasn’t enough to do that job. harry hoped that stan liked seeing them both in the worst state of their mental issues. louis had anger problems, and harry didn’t even have the brain to interpret what the heck was going on. oh, what a wonderful match that was.

“stan, why are you here?” louis placed his hands on his hips. “nobody freaking wants you here, nobody, not harry, not me.” he looked at harry, his glance a bit troubled and nervous. “right, harry?” his voice cracked at the end, and something about the heavy way he was breathing and the obvious anger in his eyes made harry falter in his words.

“uhm, erm, i guess, so,” he whispered.

“harry, just be sure of yourself, for once!” louis yelled, hitting the side of stan’s car loudly and causing harry to flinch. “you don’t even know how to form a sentence, or stand up for yourself! and you can’t even look guilty for freaking cheating on me! how do you think that makes me feel!? how could you do that, on my birthday, on christmas, on the day i was gonna, i was gonna…” louis trailed off. his eyes were shining with tears, his hands shaking and the next thing harry knew stan was laughing.