twenty nine

listen to the song i have tagged on repeat until the chapter's over.

***

coffee.

it slid down his throat, sending warmth through his whole body.

it tasted like hazelnut, with caramel and vanilla and it was warm.

harry wanted to stay in this coffee shop around the corner of his house forever. it was quiet, everybody around listening to music while reading big college books. he felt young, and small. this was known as a place to study for uni students who lived in the campus nearby.

but here he was, wrapped in a light blue sweater that was a bit to big for him but it was soft. his worn brown boots were back, fit snug around his feet with his black jeans tucked into them. he could practically smell the season. cinnamon, pine trees, and candy canes. he could see his friends, he could see them at the table right next to him, talking. louis was sipping peppermint tea, holding onto his cup with only his fingers sticking out from underneath his snowman jumper.

niall had invited them all here, despite the fact it was snowing quite hard, covering what was left of green grass and paved streets. now it was just a blanket of white.

harry liked to be at his own table, sitting at a cushiony green chair with a few names engraved on the wooden armrests. his hands went from being completely numb and red to warm as he held them over the steam of his coffee. he couldn't help but smile as ed sheeran blasted through his ear buds, covering the sounds of clinking dishes and quiet murmurs.

christmas was harry's favorite season. he loved the winter, he loved the cold that nipped at his nose and ears the minute he walked outside. he loved putting up a tree that his mum and him had found on discount at the tree farm. he loved hanging rainbow and white lights throughout their house, saving the best ones for his small bedroom.

and he loved watching all the people around him change their clothing apparel, watching their spirits heighten from all of the christmas cheer going around. it made somewhere deep in him feel warm, although the rest of his him was still so cold.

his junior year was, in one word, tiring. niall, him, and zayn were the only ones that still went to school, and they were all so busy with their classes and homework that they barely had time to talk anymore. but now, it was christmas holiday, and harry was so thankful for the break. this whole year was going by awfully slow and just.. sad.

yeah, louis would kiss him almost every day, he would meet harry at the bus stop and give him a goodbye kiss.

but harry just felt so numb. at least he felt numb to louis. his heart wasn't in it, he didn't feel so utterly in love that he could sing anymore, he didn't blush like crazy whenever louis touched him. it was perhaps more painful though, to get something that you've wanted forever but not to let yourself enjoy it.

he liked to call it a shield. a shield from hurt.

but that's not what he was thinking about. no, he was enjoying his drink and closing his eyes under the dim lights of the cafe. it felt nice, although the santa hat that was nestled in his curls was a bit itchy and smelled like the box he dug it up from.

he licked his warm lips, opening his eyes so he could see his four friends. they were laughing about something liam was saying, at least everybody but louis was. he was staring out the small window on the walls that were painted a soft shade of brown, and outside were small snowflakes falling to the ground. so harry watched louis watch snow, and it was a bit endearing.

his blue eyes were sparkling, and harry didn't know if it was with tears or the reflection of light. his lips were moist and a dark rose color due to his peppermint tea, and his cheeks were flushed pink. harry liked the way the tips of his hair curled at the ends, getting lighter from his roots to his tips. he also liked his bangs, his shaggy bangs that sometimes brushed his eyelashes and made louis blink in this wonderful way.