sixty

so many moments can take your breath away, so many things can change your life in the blink of an eye and it moves too fast for you to change anything. but the earth keeps spinning, other people's lives keep continuing on while yours is crashing down, while your cutting yourself trying to pick up broken pieces too small to see. perhaps that is a good thing, that one person's problem doesn't affect the whole world, yet just their small corner of the universe, but then again, it's not. harry knew, right when his shaky hands slipped a bit as he struggled to stay on the road, he knew that this bit of his world wouldn't just affect him, it would affect louis. it would affect louis and his friends and maybe even his mother, and that was one of the scariest things harry could've imagined in the two seconds of silence he had before his tire screeched against the icy road and his car began to turn over. he was holding his breath, his heartbeat in his ears as he curled in on himself, his only restraint his seat belt.

he squeezed his eyes shut, just like he always did when he was scared, and he was so freaking scared, and his head hit hardly against the back of his seat as the car crashed into the snow, off the road and under some nearby trees, but he was still breathing. he was breathing and holding in a scream as he was thrashed around and hit into the side door and the steering wheel slammed into his chin and glass came flying towards him, and he felt a cut, a stinging cut on his cheek. it was perhaps the most painful and peaceful thing in the world, his arms wrapped around himself and his eyes closed but all these crazy things going on around him, just like he was all his life. the silent one, the scared one in so much pain while everyone else went on through their chaotic lives without him. he was quiet, he was alone right now, and all he wanted was his car to stop moving. for the objects getting hurled against his chest like knives to stop moving. for everything to quit hurting him.

and it did, after his hands were bleeding and he passed out, still strapped in his seat belt.

and it seemed just seconds later he opened his eyes, his phone ringing loudly from his back pocket, and he was so cold because his car had crashed and the heat shut off, and now he was in his car laying sideways in the snow. there were tears running down his cheeks, and his head was pounding. harry was sure he had gotten some type of injury, just because when he touched his forehead he felt something warm and sticky and it was red.

harry put the phone to his ear, unable to speak because he was in so much pain and he was so cold, the snow soaking through the broken window and causing his coat to turn damp. 

"harry? i made dinner, why aren't you home yet baby?"

harry sobbed into the phone, but it hurt because every breath he took caused a sharp pain through his ribs and lungs, and he was almost sure he had never been in this much excruciating pain before, at least not physically.

"l-l-lou, lou-is," he choked out, before he was coughing and he couldn't stop. he coughed so hard and it hurt his lung, there was an agonizing pain all throughout his chest and he could barely hear louis' worried voice over the phone.

"harry, harry where are you? oh my god are you okay? where are you please tell me i'm going to come get you harry, harry please just breathe for me," louis rushed.

harry squeezed his eyes shut when a pair of headlights shone on him, a stray car stopping next to him. he could see a woman rushing out, her coat wrapped tightly around her shoulders and a horrified look on her face. "are you okay?" she yelled over the loud wind, her red hair blowing everywhere. she held her phone in a shaky hand. when harry didn't answer, she came closer and knelt down. "i'm calling 911," she said softly into his ear, and harry was shivering too hard now to respond. he just stared, wide eyed into the sky, his vision blurred by the falling white snow, spiraling to the ground in uneven motions and jumping with the wind.