twenty

the note stuck to the refrigerator was not big enough nor bright enough for harry to see.

it was a white sticky note and it had a message in his mum's tiny handwriting telling him that she would be home early that night. 

and since harry didn't know that, anne walked in on harry and louis kissing deeply, louis' hand tangled in harry's curls, and the younger boy hoisting louis' legs around his waist with his hands on his bum.

he didn't hear her walk in. she let out a gasp, quiet and surprised, and harry almost dropped louis. he pulled away, breathless, and louis hastily jumped to the ground, and they were both flushed with swollen lips and harry's legs were shaking.

"hi mum," harry mumbled, right when anne had asked, "who's this?"

then they were both looking at louis, who was smiling widely for some odd reason. he just stuck his hand out and walked confidently towards anne, shaking the hair out of his eyes and crossing his ankles. "'m louis."

"hi louis," anne said skeptically, shaking his hand softly while raising an eyebrow at harry. "i'm anne."

harry took a moment to look over her face, at her dark hair pulled into a messy bun and the small hoop earrings on her ears. she didn't look as tired as usual. she almost looked happy.

"what's the occasion?" harry asked, stepping around louis to pull his mum into a hug, and she smelled so much like perfume that he knew she didn't work today. she went out. 

"i went on a date," anne smiled, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "but the real question is why i just walked in on you kissing another boy."

harry looked at the ground, and immediately started blushing when louis wrapped his arm around harry's shoulders.

"i'm not just any boy, anne. i'm louis tomlinson."

a laugh escaped harry's lips as he watched his mum's face.

"and why are you so special?"

"because i am."

harry laughed harder, because louis was so confident and funny.

"who do you think you are?" anne asked, but she was giggling as she looked at louis, who was wiggling his eyebrows and leaning his head on harry's shoulder.

louis sighed dramatically. "we already went over this."

then they were all laughing, and harry found himself leaning against louis so hard that they fell against each other onto the counter, which made them burst into another fit of giggles.

"okay, okay boys. i'm serious. i need you to explain to me what just happened. because that was not acceptable."

"what? this?"

and harry's eyes widened as louis grabbed his face and pushed their lips together in a quick kiss.

"louis!" he exclaimed, avoiding his mother's eyes, but he couldn't help but smile.

but there was a happy look on anne's face as she glanced at the two boys.

"do you two want to have a movie night?"

***

harry found himself scrunched into a ball on his couch, holding the hem of his shirt under his watering eyes, and louis' legs were laid across his lap.

anne was sitting on the other end of the long couch, a tissue tucked in her fist and a far away look in her eyes.

the movie was over.